Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions|Veterans Services Center

Contact Us

Veterans Services Center
Knight Hall, Room 241
Phone: 307-766-6908
Marty Martinez (Sr. Project Coordinator)
Knight Hall, Room 241
Phone: 307-766-6909
Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a dependent of an active duty Military member, and have registered for fall classes.  My spouse has transferred their benefits to me under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  I just received my Certificate of Eligibility.  As I understand it, I need to provide your office with a copy.  I live in Cheyenne, WY and work fulltime so getting to campus is a bit of a problem for me.  Is there a way we can handle this through email, fax, or mail?

A: Your paperwork needs to be submitted to the dept. of Financial Aid.  You can Submit your paperwork through email, fax, or by mail.  Please use the following contact information to submit your paperwork to the University of Wyoming:

          Sara Morris
          Financial Aid Specialist- VA
          Office of Student Financial Aid
          Dept. 3335, 1000 E. University Ave.
          Laramie, WY 82071
          Phone: (307) 766-2525
          Fax: (307) 766-3800

Q: What is needed to verify my enrolled hours with the VA?

A: The VA requires you to complete a registration card.  You can receive the enrollment paperwork from the VA certifying official, Sara Morris, with the information above.

Q: How long does it take for the VA to process my application for the GI Bill, so that I can start recieving my benefits?

A: It can take 8-10 weeks for the VA to process new applications.  If you submit your application online the process is much faster, you can use this link to access the online application process.  VONAPP


Q: I am currently on Active Duty, but I am planning to be a full-time student at the University of Wyoming in the fall.  I need to know how to deal with my new GI Bill.  I will separate from Active Duty a couple of days before the start of the fall semester.  When or how should I apply for the GI Bill?  I do not want the system to see me as being still Active Duty and not pay me the BAH portion of the GI Bill.

A: You will want to wait until you are officially off Active Duty before you apply for the GI Bill.  After you are off Active Duty, please visit the VA website to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill electronically.  We will need a copy of your DD-214 and a copy of your eligibility certificate once you are separated.  You will still be able to start school on the first day of the fall semester.

Q: I have found a Wyoming Statute, 19-14-106 that explains that a veteran can receive 10 paid semesters at the University of Wyoming.  Is it true and How do I know if I am eligible for the program.

A:  It is true that you may be eligible for 10 free semesters at the University of Wyoming. The Wyoming Statute 19-14-106 will give you the information to find out if you are eligible.  The application and information can also be found at the Veterans Services Center.

Q: How do I apply for Federal Financial Aid at the University of Wyoming?

A: It is recommended that all students fill out the FAFSA.  Completing the FAFSA is required for any student each year in order to receive Federal Aid.  Visit this website to complete the FAFSA;  The FAFSA is free and should be completed as soon as possible.


Q: Why do Veterans need to do a FAFSA?

A: It is recommended for all students to complete a FAFSA.  It is required by the Department of Education for a student to complete the FAFSA each year in order to be awarded Federal Financial Aid.  These are some examples of types of federal aid you may receive; Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Work-Study opportunities, Scholarships.


Q: Is there anything else that a GI Bill recipient can do to help pay for schooling?

A: Yes, you can still apply for scholarships and grants even if you are using the GI Bill or other VA resources.  You can also apply for a work study position, the Veterans Services Center offers three work study positions specifically for veterans we also have information on other work study positions available for Veterans.





Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon