1000 E. University, Dept. 3371
Laramie, WY 82071
WYOMING GEOGRAPHIC ALLIANCE
Adopted October 16, 2010
As amended April 6, 2013
Name of Alliance
Section 1. Name. This organization shall be known as the Wyoming Geographic Alliance (WGA).
Purpose of the Organization
Section 1. Purpose. The WGA is an organization dedicated to facilitating geographic knowledge and literacy by providing professional development opportunities for educators, quality materials and experiences for students, and general information for the community at large.
Section 1. Membership. Membership in the WGA shall be open to all persons interested in promoting geographic education in Wyoming.
Administrative Structure of the Wyoming Geographic Alliance (WGA)
Section 1. Administrative Structure. The WGA shall be administered by the Alliance Coordinator, the Executive Board, and a Steering Committee. Administration of the WGA shall be carried out in cooperation with the National Geographic Society Education Foundation (NGSEF).
Selection and Duties of WGA Administration
Section 1. Alliance Coordinator. The WGA Alliance Coordinator shall be appointed by a representative from the National Geographic Society Education Foundation.
a. The duties of the Alliance Coordinator are to:
1. Act as the chief fiscal agent and primary administrator of the WGA;
2. Establish an annual budget; develop grants and programs necessary to fulfill the mission of the WGA with the approval of the host institution.
3. Provide the WGA Steering Committee with an annual report;
4. Set the agenda and chair all meetings of the WGA Steering Committee;
5. Select an administrative assistant to provide services as specified by the WGA Coordinator;
6. Select a secretary from the WGA Steering Committee or the administrative assistant to record the minutes of each WGA Steering Committee meeting.
Section 2. Executive Board. WGA Executive Board shall consist of the WGA Coordinator, a host institution representative, one teacher and one member at large selected by the Alliance Coordinator with the approval of the Steering Committee.
a. The WGA Executive Board shall:
1. Operate within the parameters established by the NGSEF and be responsible to advise the Steering Committee and the WGA Alliance Coordinator;
2. Have all the powers and authority of the Steering Committee, except for the power to amend the by-laws, in the intervals between the meetings of the Steering Committee;
3. Be able to vote at Steering Committee meetings;
4. When necessary be able to cast an electronic or online vote.
Section 3. Steering Committee. The WGA Steering Committee shall be composed of a minimum of nine (9) and no more than twelve (12) members. Each member shall serve three-year renewable terms. New Steering Committee members shall be elected at the fall Steering Committee meeting by a majority vote. Steering Committee members may submit names for consideration to the Alliance Coordinator prior to the fall meeting. Considerations for Steering Committee membership shall include a nominee’s enthusiasm for and commitment to WGA’s mission.
a. The WGA Steering Committee shall:
1. Operate within the parameters established by the NGEF;
2. Be responsible for the governance of the WGA;
3. Approve WGA program(s), grants, the WGA annual budget and annual report;
4. Provide input and give direction to WGA programs.
Section 1. Meetings. The WGA Steering Committee shall meet no fewer than two times (once in fall, once in spring) per calendar year to consider the business of the WGA, to set policy, and to attend to operational procedures. The WGA Steering Committee may set additional meetings and establish sub-committees as needed. The specific date, time, and location of the WGA Steering Committee meetings shall be determined by the WGA Coordinator in coordination with the WGA Steering Committee.
Section 1. Finances. On or about October 1 of each calendar year, the WGA State Coordinator shall propose a budget for the coming year. A majority vote of the WGA Steering Committee, taken during the Fall Meeting, is required for approval of the annual budget.
Section 1. By-Law Changes. Changes in the WGA By-Laws require a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the WGA Steering Committee.