Wyoming Telehealth Network
What is the WyTN?
The Wyoming Telehealth Network (WyTN) leverages telecommunication technology to link patients, providers and specialists to deliver positive healthcare outcomes for Wyoming residents. The WyTN brings professional development opportunities to healthcare professionals in their home communities.
Benefits of Telehealth
Why telehealth? Both patient and provider can benefit from telehealth. Here are just a few examples:
- Rural patients can stay in local communities while having access to primary care providers and/or specialty services.
- Improved health outcomes through earlier diagnosis.
- Reduces healthcare costs.
- Lowers patient travel costs and missed work/school associated with commute to urban locations.
- Fewer emergency room visits.
- Home monitoring reduces high cost hospital visits.
- Local providers able to consult with specialists to improve disease management without added visit to specialist.
- Travel in dangerous winter weather no longer necessary.
- Hospitalized patients have advantage of staying in their home community closer to family while still receiving quality care managed by a specialist via telehealth.
- Patients less likely to sacrifice care due to higher costs and time.
- The focus is on patients and a balance of evidence-based care with patient preferences.
Provider / Healthcare Facility / Community
- Rural clinics and hospitals can provide more specialty services.
- Ease provider shortages.
- Receive professional training without need for travel.
- Better community image due to expanded healthcare services.
- Increase revenue in community by keeping patients local.
- Telemedicine as a delivery method as part of an innovation in health care delivery – is beginning to use inclusive care strategies extending beyond the traditional brick and mortar walls.
- As part of emerging medical neighborhoods, telehealth addresses challenges by encouraging the flow of information across sites of care and between clinicians and patients; pursuing the framework for better health, better care and lower costs.