| Overall Goals
People have responsibilities for their own
communities must create environments that foster good health and provide
Principles of body-size differences and size-acceptance
- Accept and value every body, whatever size or shape.
- Help people feel good about their bodies and about who they are.
- Recognize that people of all sizes and shapes can reduce their risk
of poor health by adopting a healthy lifestyle.
- Challenge your own size-prejudice beliefs.
Principles of positive self-acceptance
- Value yourself regardless of your size or shape.
- Identify your strengths and abilities and build on your assets.
- Be critical of messages that focus on unrealistic body images as
symbols of success and happiness.
Principles of physically active living
- Enjoy physical activity every day.
- Participate in activities for the joy of feeling your body move.
- Make physical activity fun.
Principles of healthful and pleasurable eating
- Take pleasure in eating.
- Take controleat when hungry and stop when satisfied.
- Follow the Food Guide Pyramid.
- Honor the gift of food.
5th grade versions of WIN the Rockies Principles
The WIN the Rockies project's overall goals were twofold: to enhance
the well-being of individuals by improving their attitudes and behaviors
related to food, physical activity, and body image; and to help build
communities' capacities to foster and sustain these changes.
Ultimately, the project sought to reverse the rising tide of obesity
in the three states by focusing proactively on prevention and positively
on health (rather than weight) at the individual and community levels.
In addition to serving the general population, the project provided
specific outreach to youth, limited-resource audiences, and heavy adults.
Guiding Principles | Overall