is Canada's national health promotion program. Using an integrated approach, Vitality
encourages people to feel good about themselves by emphasizing healthy eating, active living, and positive self and body image.
- Take pleasure in eating a variety of foods.
- Enjoy lower-fat and complex carbohydrate foods more often.
- Meet the body's energy and nutrient needs through a lifetime of healthy, enjoyable eating.
- Take control of how you eat by listening to your hunger cues.
- Value and practice activities that are moderate and fun.
- Be active your way, every day.
- Participate for the joy of feeling your body move.
- Enjoy physical activities as part of your daily lifestyle.
Positive Self and Body Image
- Accept and recognize that healthy bodies come in a range of weights, shapes, and sizes.
- Appreciate your strengths and abilities.
- Be tolerant of a wide range of body sizes and shapes.
- Relax and enjoy the unique characteristics you have to offer.
- Be critical of messages that focus on unrealistic thinness (in women) and muscularity (in men) as symbols of success and happiness.
Source: Vitality Leader's Kit, Health and Welfare Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Return to home page.