8th Annual Wyoming Statewide Life Sciences Summit
Friday, February 21, 2014
Douglas Community Golf Club, Club House, 64 Golf Course Road (click for directions)
Registration is free, but required.
Breakfast and lunch will be
travel or lodging expenses are the responsibility of the registrant or the
Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) renewal
credit will be available.
1. Consider what student work on quantitative reasoning (QR) tells us about teacher expectations, student learning, and student success in the life sciences.
2. Gain a greater understanding of how we approach instruction and assessment of QR at all levels.
3. Consider how current QR practices enhance expectations of Common Core State Standards and the Next Generation Science Standards.
4. Continue fostering conversation and collaboration across secondary and postsecondary levels after this summit.
To facilitate a strong, productive meeting, please ensure you bring 2 examples of student work: one good, one poor, with the names removed, and 8 copies.
|| Registration; coffee, tea, breakfast treats
|| Welcome, table introductions
|| Overview of the day and ground rules
|| Table discussions – sharing student work
|| Table discussions continued
|| Table discussions - developing a proposal for student success with QR
|| Large group sharing and group discussion
|| Evaluation of the day’s work
Wyoming School-University Partnership www.uwyo.edu/wsup
UW Life Sciences Program www.uwyo.edu/lifescience
UW Science and Mathematics Teaching Center (SMTC) www.uwyo.edu/smtc/
Directions to Douglas Community Golf Club, Club House, 64 Golf Course Road
- Take exit 135 off I-25
- Travel west on East Richards Street
- At first stop light, take a left onto Golf Course (LaBonte) Road
- Follow it under the Interstate (caution - there are sharp curves in the road under the Interstate overpass)
- The Pro Shop and Clubhouse are 1/4 mile up the hill on the right