1000 East University Avenue
Health Sciences Bldg Rm 457
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-2497
Fax: (307) 766-2492
1. Why is an application and interview required?
A: There are a limited number of students that can be accommodated in a given semester. The Coordinator will be looking for students that are committed to completing the 40 hr. program and who, in the Coordinator's estimation, are prepared to take this next step in their pre-med preparation.
2. Do I really have to submit documentation of all those immunizations?
A: Yes. This is a CRMC policy.
3. Why do I need a Background check and drug screen?
A: Cheyenne Regional Medical Center is committed to the safety of all patients, staff, volunteers, visitors and students. In that commitment CRMC requires background checks and urine drug screens to be performed on all employees, volunteers and students. In this practice we can assure that every person will have a safe and quality experience during their time with us. Your cooperation in ensuring the safety of our facility is appreciated.
4. Where can I get a background check?
A: Background checks can be obtained by through the College of Health Sciences' vendor, Lexis/Nexis. Go to http://www.uwyo.edu/hs and look for the Background Check link in the lower left-hand side of the page. Click "Enter Screening Process." When asked for major, please select "minor in Health Sciences if your major is not listed as an option. This is just for processing purposes; it does NOT commit you to the minor.
5. Where will I do my shadowing rotations?
A: All rotations will take place at Cheyenne Regional Medical Center.
6. Who determines my shadowing rotation schedule?
A: Students will work with the Shadowing Program Liaison @ CRMC to create an individualized schedule. Your schedule will be designed so that you can complete the 40 hours in one semester.
7. What physician specialties are included?
A: The physicians participating in any given semester may vary, but we anticipate students will have 2-8 hour rotations in the following areas:
8. What if I am not interested in a particular field? Do I have to complete all rotations?
A: The program is designed to give students a well-rounded experience. Medical schools encourage applicants to shadow physicians in numerous specialties. Students are expected to complete the 40 hour program.
9. Do I receive anything for completing the Shadowing Program?
A: Students who finish the 40 hr. program are awarded a Certificate of Completion. CRMC will maintain a record of your rotations.
10. What if I want to shadow more than 40 hours?
A: Students will be limited to 40 hours of shadowing so that we can maximize the number of pre-med students that can participate in the program.
11. Can I apply the semester before I want to shadow?
A: Yes. Applications will be accepted in advance for students who want to plan ahead.
12. Can I participate in this physician shadowing program more than once?
A: No. As spaces are limited, we want to make this great opportunity available to as many qualified premed students as possible.
13. Will this program give me enough healthcare experience to be a competitive medical school applicant?
A: More is always better than less. Medical schools like to see students participate in a variety of healthcare-related experiences to include shadowing and working/volunteering in a healthcare facility.
14. Will I receive any training?
A: All participants will be required to attend the CRMC Orientation prior to beginning their rotations.