Laramie Mapping Party
Join Us Saturday September 17th!
-- see schedule and registration details below--
Please join us for the first ever Laramie Mapping Party! Hosted as part of WyGISC's 15th anniversary celebration, the goal of the event is to both raise awareness about local geography and geographic literacy and to grow the availability of geographic information freely available for the community.
Participants will share and learn basic Global Positioning System (GPS) -based mapping skills and then have the opportunity to go out into the community for an afternoon of collecting locations they identify as important, useful and unique points of interest.
Data collected as part of the event will be made available through the OpenStreetMap Foundation map database, an online Wikipedia-like web site dedicated to creating a free, editable map of the world based on local community contributors.
1:00 - 1:30pm Check-In (equipment, map assignments)
1:30 - 2:00pm Intro to OpenStreetMap and Mapping Instructions
2:00 - 4:00pm Mapping Time - walking/biking/driving - on your own or with a team!
4:00 - 5:30pm Data Upload and Editing (must return to Depot by 5pm)
5:00 - 7:00pm Social - food, refreshments, discussion and presentation of results
- The mapping event is free and open to individuals 18 years and older.
- Pre-registration is required for participation and can be done online prior to September 15th.
- Click here to register today
Other Things You Need to Know
- No prior GPS experience required.
- If you own a GPS, please bring it along. If not, we will have a limited number of GPS units to loan or paper maps to annotate.
- Weather: This event is rain or shine. Extreme weather cancels, but the current forecast is for clear weather!
For more information, please contact us!
In the News: Laramie GPS Mapping Party Set for Sept. 17