CWD Testing for Hunters
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Testing Information for Hunters
The Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory (WSVL) offers testing for CWD in white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, and moose. Specimens may be dropped off at the WSVL during normal business hours (recommended), dropped off after hours (in the provided drop-box), or shipped using mail or courier service. We test deer by ELISA (positives confirmed by immunohistochemistry) and test elk and moose by both ELISA and immunohistochemistry. Please contact us with any CWD testing questions.
Test Fee: $30/animal, cash or check only, checks made out to “WSVL” (Please never send cash via mail or courier service and never leave cash in the WSVL drop-box)
Form: WSVL CWD Testing Form
Turnaround time: 10 working days
Results reported by: Email (please provide a current and legible email address), followed by mail hard copy.
- Specimen submission and testing questions:
- Disease and diagnostic testing questions:
To drop off specimens at WSVL (recommended):
- Physical location and mail/courier address:
Laramie, WY 82070
- Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory
1174 Snowy Range Road
- Bring specimens for testing to the “Sample Drop-Off” entrance (map of WSVL)
- Business Hours:
- Monday – Friday
- 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM (Summer: May – August)
- 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (School year: September – April)
- Specimens accepted: whole carcasses, heads, or tissues
- The intact head with tongue, larynx, and adjacent soft tissues still attached is preferred
- Tissues collected for testing include brainstem (obex region of the medulla oblongata) and the retropharyngeal lymph nodes
- We will return heads upon request
- If the submitter wishes to have a shoulder mount done on the animal we request that you have it caped out prior to bringing it to us. Be sure that the tongue, larynx, and adjacent soft tissues is still attached
- Tissues for CWD testing
To drop off specimens at WSVL after hours:
- Use the drop-off barrel located on the loading dock (map of WSVL)
- Follow instructions posted on the barrel – intact heads are preferred
- Submission forms are available on the barrel – do not leave cash
To submit specimens to WSVL by mail or courier service:
- WSVL recommends 1-day (overnight) service (US Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx). Specimens must be packaged in accordance with current shipping regulations for diagnostic specimens (feel free to call us for assistance).
- Specimens accepted include whole heads or both brainstem (medulla oblongata with intact obex region) and retropharyngeal lymph nodes (tissues for CWD testing). We will NOT return heads received by mail/courier service. WSVL is not responsible for submission of improper specimens.
- You must complete and include the WSVL CWD Testing Form.