This site will look much better in a browser that supports web standards, but it is accessible to any browser or Internet device.
Molds are naturally occurring fungi, but can cause health problems when growing indoors.
What is mold?
Molds are naturally occurring fungi. Their spores are found everywhere, but they are microscopic, so we don't see them. Once spores find a moist environment and begin to mature into mold growths. There are many types of molds and they assume various shapes and colors.
Why is mold important?
Molds help break down decaying materials outdoors and are very beneficial in this capacity. Indoors, however, they should be avoided. Indoors, molds can produce allergens (substances that produce an allergic reaction in humans), irritants, and, in some cases, toxins.
Why are molds in my school?
Molds need a wet, or at least moist, environment to grow. Roof or plumbing leaks, cluttered kitchen areas, bathrooms and locker rooms, and drafty windows can all be sources of moisture.
What can I do about mold if it exists indoors?
Compiled by K.A. VanDyke, University of Wyoming, College of Agriculture, Dept. of Renewable Resources #3354, Laramie, WY 82071