Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

FAQ for graduate applicants

FAQ for applying graduate program in the Department of Zoology and Physiology.

 How do I apply to the Department of Zoology and Physiology?

The first step is to identify a faculty member in the Department of Zoology & Physiology whose research interests are similar to yours.  We cannot consider applications unless a faculty member has indicated a willingness to serve as the student’s advisor. After you have found a potential advisor, email a completed departmental application form, a copy of your curriculum vitae and copies of college transcripts to them. No GRE is required.   International students must include a copy of their TOEFL scores.  Arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to the potential advisor(s). Click here for the application and letters of recommendation forms.    

How do I find a potential graduate advisor?

A listing of faculty and their research areas is available through the Department of Zoology and Physiology web page.   Contact the appropriate faculty member(s) and find someone interested in potentially serving as your graduate advisor.

What areas of study are available in the Department of Zoology & Physiology?

Our faculty study topics ranging from cell biology to ecosystem science and work with a wide variety of organisms.  Check the websites of individual faculty to find faculty whose research interests are similar to yours.  We also partner with the Program  in Ecology (PIE) and the Neuroscience Program to offer graduate study in those areas.

What are the requirements for admission to a M.S. program and a Ph.D. program?

Admission is be based on the quality of the student’s application materials, the availability of space and funding, and a faculty advisor willing to support the applicant's research. Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (on an A = 4.00 basis) is required.

What types of financial aid are available and how do I apply for financial aid?

We offer support for graduate study in the form of a teaching assistantship, a research assistantship or a fellowship.  All pay for living expenses and also cover tuition and fees.  Teaching assistants contribute to teaching undergraduate courses, often as the instructor in laboratory sections.  Research assistants work on research grants that have been obtained by their graduate advisor.  Fellowships are typically awarded directly to the student by governmental or private organizations.  We only accept students that will have some type of financial support so check with your potential advisor about the available options and how to apply for them.

When will a decision be made about my application for graduate school?

Admissions are done on a rolling basis for students who will be supported by a research assistantship from their major professor or who will have their own support in the form of a fellowship.  If the student has completed the application and the major professor has support, admission decisions are generally done within a week’s timeframe.  Students applying for a teaching assistantship who wish to begin in the fall semester should have their application completed, including letters of recommendation, by January 15. Students applying for a teaching assistantship who wish to start in the spring semester should have their application completed by September 15.

How can I obtain further information?

A detailed summary of the graduate program of the Department of Zoology & Physiology is available on our web page:  If you have questions, please contact us at 307-766-4207 or via email:

Contact Us

Department of Zoology and Physiology

1000 E. University Ave

Aven Nelson, room 114

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-4207

Fax: 307-766-5625


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon