Advising and Registration

Frequently Asked Questions

Advising and Registration

Your “W” number is a randomly assigned 8-digit identification code that is used as your university identification number instead of your Social Security number. You will need your “W” number whenever you complete official paperwork.
WyoWeb is your personal portal to the University of Wyoming systems. After you obtain your username and password, you should set your homepage to WyoWeb to have quick access to e-mail, your course, the calendar, your degree evaluation, and much more.
Students showing proficiency by passing examinations such as the College Board Advanced Placement Program (AP) or examinations developed by University of Wyoming departments may earn college credit through the level of demonstrated proficiency. Credit may be allowed on the basis of any testing procedure acceptable to any department, which may include tests of the AP program and both the general and subject (specific) examinations of the College Level Examinations Program (CLEP). If you've taken Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), or College Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject tests, please have an official copy of your scores sent directly to the UW Admissions Office from the testing agency. There is a Foreign Language Achievement Test that allows students to earn credit for world languages. See the Credit Available page of the UW Office of the Registrar in order to see equivalencies for the AP, IB, CLEP and more.
Your best resource is your advisor. Advisors have the tools to guide you and ensure your courses will count toward graduation. We suggest that you stay in regular communication with your assigned academic advisor to discuss courses. Take a look at the Degree Plan site to see a general guideline of courses you need to complete your major. You can also check how much progress you have made toward your degree by checking your Degree Evaluation. To do so, follow these steps within WyoWeb: WyoRecords > Students > Student Records > Degree Evaluation. A Personal plan will open in a new window on your browser. Please turn to your academic advisor for help in interpreting this.
In UW's Academic Calendar, you will see something called "Advising Week." In actuality, depending on when your date of registration is, you may be advised for registration well after this week, but you should ALWAYS be advised BEFORE your official date of registration. Before your registration date, you should receive an e-mail from your advisor to set up0 an appointment specifically to plan your schedule for the upcoming semester. Make this appointment as soon as you see this e-mail message. If you notice that your primary academic advisor has not e-mailed you at least one week before your registration date to set up an appointment, please reach out to them. During an advising session, your advisor will help you develop a schedule and give you your Personal Electronic Registration Code (PERC) number that you will enter to register for courses in WyoWeb. You can also ask for advice on course withdrawal, resources on campus, career and major choices, financial issues, and any other concerns. Your advisor will help you with answers and also put you in touch with the right offices.

See above to access your Degree Evaluation, and your Advisor information is on this Degree Evaluation below the classification and above the UW GPA. If you need help identifying your advisor’s contact information, see below for information:

Fall Bridge & Exploratory Studies:
Advising, Career, & Exploratory Studies, Knight Hall 222
Arts & Sciences:
A&S Advising Center, basement of the east wing of Ross Hall
Agriculture & Natural Resources:
Ag Programs Advising, College of Agriculture Building Room 160 C
Teacher Preparation & Advising Office, Room 100 McWhinnie Hall
(307) 766-2230,
Business Academic Advising, College of Business Lower Level 1
(307) 766-UBIZ (8249) 
Engineering & Applied Science:
The CEAS Academic Advising Center,
Engineering Building Room 2085
Health Sciences:
Haub School  (ENR):
Haub School, Bim Kendall House, 804 E Fremont St.
(307) 766-5080, 
School of Energy Resources:

If students enroll in an average of 15 credit hours per semester, they have the best chance at graduating in four years. A course load of five 3-credit courses is recommended. However, some courses have labs or more meeting times, so they are 4-credit courses. It is best to consult with your advisor on the best course load for you.

In order to be a full-time student, you will need to take at least 12 credit hours per semester. The maximum hours you can take without requiring an overload petition is 20. We strongly discourage students from taking a course load of 20 credits in a single semester. Always discuss such a decision with your academic advisor.

The Office of the Registrar’s website has both. The University of Wyoming Course Catalog includes information on all undergraduate and graduate-level academic programs and their specific requirements. It also lists course descriptions. The UW Catalog is updated every academic year, but your degree requirements will be based on the Catalog year at which you entered the university. You are responsible for knowing the degree requirements for your major. If you have any questions or concerns, speak with your academic advisor. The class schedule is the official list of all courses offered each semester. It can be found online at the Registrar’s webpage or you can use the "Browse Classes" feature on WyoWeb > Students > Registration. 

A Freshman (FR) is a student with under 30 credit hours. A Sophomore (SO) has between 30 and 59 credit hours, a Junior (JR) has between 60 and 89 credit hours, and a Senior (SR) has 90+ credit hours.

The date and time you are permitted to register depend on your classification. Graduate students, those seeking a second Bachelor’s degree, honors students, and some veterans and student athletes have priority registration, which opens the end of October or March. The order of registration after that is seniors, freshmen, juniors, and sophomores. Only after students in all of these categories have had an opportunity is registration open to those who are new and returning students.

Some academic departments have courses which require labs and/or discussion sections in addition to the lecture. These are referred to as Linked Sections (or Activities). When you register for a course with linked sections, you must add the lecture section, you must also add any required linked section (a lab, discussion, or both) before you will be able to complete the registration for that course by pressing "submit." In order to drop or switch sections of a lecture, you will also need to drop all linked sections.

Every registration error has a title. Pay attention to the type of error that comes up. Some common registration errors are: Closed Section when the course is already full and has NO wait list available; Closed - Waitlisted when the course is already full, but has a wait list available; Department when the course requires departmental permission (contact the department to correct); Link Error when a lecture, laboratory, or discussion component of a course is missing; Special Approval Required when the course requires special approval from the department (also known as 'controlled enrollment' – contact the department to correct); and Time Conflict when the course meets at the same time as another course already on the schedule.

A prerequisite is a course that must be completed before enrollment in another course or a degree program. Prerequisites for individual courses and degree programs are listed in the University of Wyoming Course Catalog. Students are responsible for learning what the course prerequisites are for any course or program. If you have any questions, speak with your academic advisor.

Lower division courses are those numbered between 1000 and 2999. They are typically taken during your freshman and sophomore years. Upper division courses, numbered 3000-4999, are normally taken during your junior and senior years. Unless they have received special permission, undergraduates should avoid taking 5000-level courses since they are designated for graduate students.

There is no university-wide requirement for foreign language, but many majors have foreign language requirements. In addition, taking a foreign language is one way to fulfill a general studies (USP) requirement.

Contact the University of Wyoming Education Abroad Office for information about exchanges, direct-enroll providers, faculty-led courses, and internships. The ideal time to go on a study abroad is during your junior year after your University Studies Program coursework has already been met. 

First Year Experience
Questions about Registration? | 307-766-5272.FYE logo