Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

International Graduate Students


Additional Steps for International Graduate Student Applicants

In addition to applying per your academic program's requirements, all prospective international graduate students must:

Provide Official Academic Transcripts

Send official transcripts (mark sheets) from all post-secondary institutions to:

UW Admissions
1000 E University Ave Dept 3435
Laramie, WY 82071

A bachelor's degree from an accredited or recognized school is required. A cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on previous coursework is required for full admission (3.25 for interdisciplinary program applicants). All transcripts must be official. In order for them to be considered as such, they must be sent directly from the school(s) attended, in a sealed envelope, to the Admissions office at UW.

If your institution does not issue translated official transcripts, we recommend you utilize the translation service provided through University Language Services or have your transcripts evaluated through a NACES affiliate.

A 3-year bachelor's degree from India will be accepted only if the degree is earned in Division I from an institution accredited by the NAAC with a grade of A. All other 3-year degrees will be regarded as equivalent to three years of undergraduate study.

Applicants earning a 3-year bachelor's from a school participating in the Bologna process will be reviewed for possible eligibility of graduate admission to master's programs at UW on an individual basis. Direct entry into a doctoral program, immediately following the completion of the 3-year bachelor's, will not be permitted. Some applicants may be requested to undergo a credentials evaluation from WES. The fee for this service will be the applicant's responsibility.

Provide Proof of Financial Support

Confidential Financial Statement and Family Information Form. The confidential financial statement is only required if you are NOT receiving a full graduate assistantship from UW. The family information form is required if you are bringing family members (spouse and/or children) with you when you first travel to UW.

Provide Proof of English Proficiency

Provide proof of satisfactory English ability if student’s native language is not English. Send official TOEFL Scores or IELTS scores to the Admissions office (school code is 4855; locate your departmental codes here).

A TOEFL minimum score of 540 on the written exam, or 76 on the Internet-based test is required for full admission. A IELTS minimum score of 6.5 is required for full admission.

Note that some departments require higher TOEFL/IELTS scores than what is required by the Admissions Office.  Please contact your department for further information about minimum scores.

NOTE: If your TOEFL score does not reflect the minimum requirements, you have not taken the test, or you simply need supplemental English study before attending the University of Wyoming, you have the opportunity to attend an accepted intensive English language program to improve your English language skills and waive the TOEFL requirement.

Students Currently Studying at a U.S. Institution

Please provide your school’s immigration coordinator with the following details for transfer:

UW’s School Name: University of Wyoming

UW’s Campus Code: DEN214F00241000

If your school’s immigration coordinator has any questions or concerns regarding your transfer, they may contact us at 307-766-5193 or

Exams Available On Campus

The University Testing Center offers the GRE (Graduate Records Exam), GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test), and TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exams. To register or get information, please call (307)766-2188 or register on-line HERE.

Other Steps

Check with your department of interest to be sure you have submitted any additional materials they might need as an international applicant.

If possible, please mail a copy of your passport to the Admissions office. This will assist in placing the correct information on your I-20.

Other Links of Interest

International Student Services


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon