1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-4075
Select a Question:
- What must I do before orientation?
- Should parents and families attend?
- Is it important to attend all the programming during my session?
- Do I have to take the Math Placement Exam?
- How can I prepare for my advising appointment?
- Other questions?
Simply log in to your Destination You-W interactive checklist on WyoWeb and follow the required steps on the WyoRecords page! This becomes available in October for students beginning class in January, and in February for summer and August entry students.
Should parents and families attend?
Parents and families are welcome and find attendance very beneficial. Note that parents and students attend separate programming throughout the day, and parents do not attend a student's advising or class registration. Orientation programming is not designed for young children, so siblings attending may wish to bring quiet toys or books to keep them entertained.
Is it important to attend all the programming during my session?
Yes, it is important for students to attend all the programming. You will complete all of the necessary tasks and meet your peers. Parents have the option to do what suits them best, however every session is valuable.
Do I have to take the Math Placement Exam?
Most students without college-level transfer math credit do have to take the MPE to determine which college math and science classes they may enroll in. In some cases, this decides whether or not students may take the classes necessary for a 4 year graduation in their major, so it is very important. Find details and sample problems online. The MPE is available online starting in May through your Destination You-W checklist located on WyoWeb.
How can I prepare for my advising appointment?
Begin by reviewing the University Catalog. This contains the coursework necessary for every major, and it is essentially a contract between you and UW. You will work with an advisor to help you select the classes you need. Otherwise, the most important things to do in advance are:
- Find out if you need to take the Math Placement Exam here. If so, prepare and take it online in May from Destination You-W in WyoWeb.
- If you have any transfer credit (community college, AP, IB, etc.) bring a copy of your transcript with you to orientation.
- Relax and keep an open mind. Every student must complete University Studies classes. Even if your favorite classes are closed, don't worry- you'll get a schedule that meets your needs.
If you have other questions, we'll get you an answer. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) DIAL-WYO.