Reserve materials request
* for UW instructor use only
COVID-19 Course Reserves Copyright Update
As we move to remote teaching and learning, we will process only those reserve materials that can be made available electronically. To determine if your full Course Reserve materials can be made available online, please submit a new Reserve Request or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Libraries will make every effort to purchase electronic versions or digitize required materials to make them available to your students.
- Standard bibliographic citations
- Two weeks' advance notice (at the beginning of the semester)
- Permission release form attached to any original student work
- Request only the amount of material needed to accomplish the educational purpose (less than 80 items/course)
- Instructors submitting materials are responsible for evaluating, on a case-by-case basis, whether the use of a copyrighted work requires permission or qualifies as fair use.
- Personal copies are placed on reserve at owner's risk and will be labeled with library identification.
- UW Libraries materials will be considered for partial reproduction, when possible.
- Interlibrary Loan & Prospector materials, course packs and consumable materials may not be placed on reserve.
Materials may be reproduced and made available for course reserves when they are
- in the public domain; or
- used with permission from the copyright holder; or
- used under the provisions of a contract or license agreement, noting that the agreements may differ from, and often take precedence over, what is allowed under copyright law; or
- used under the provision of Fair Use, U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. Section 107, as outlined or as determined using a case-by-case four-factor analysis.
The Libraries interpretation of Fair Use generally allows for the following reproductions of an original copyrighted work for reserve use:
- One article per issue of a journal
- Under 20% of a book or similar copyrighted work
By proceeding to the Reserve Request form, you agree that all items submitted for reserve are in compliance with U.S. copyright laws and the University of Wyoming Libraries Reserve Policies. The Libraries retains the right to refuse materials for reserve or remove materials already on reserve, on the basis of law-related or administrative concerns.
Go to Reserve Request form