Office of the Registrar

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading

The grade of S (Satisfactory) is interpreted to be the equivalent of grades A-C for courses numbered below 5000 and to be the equivalent of grades A-B for courses numbered 5000 or above.

Credit hours of S/U courses are counted as hours attempted toward graduation. However, neither the S nor U grade carries grade points and neither will be included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.

You may not take a course for S/U credit to satisfy all-university academic requirements, unless the course is offered for S/U only. For example, Political Science 1000 may not be taken for S/U, but a P.E. activity course may be taken for an S/U grade since this is the only way it is offered.

If you are repeating a class to earn a better grade, you may not take it as S/U unless the grade originally assigned was a U.

You must signify that you want to take a course for S/U at the time you register.

Always check with your adviser before you register for S/U. The faculties of the various colleges and of the Graduate School determine the number of credit hours of S that may be used to satisfy degree requirements in their respective programs. They may also place restrictions upon the use of S credits to satisfy college or major requirements. In addition, they may designate particular courses in their colleges as courses to be offered for S/U only.

Office of the Registrar

167 Knight Hall
Department 3964
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-5272

Fax: (307) 766-3960


Lane Buchanan, Sr. Associate Registrar
Robert Ratterree, Associate Registrar

Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window)Find us on LinkedIn (Link opens a new window)Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)