Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Frequently Asked Questions

Contracts & Applications

How do I apply?

New admitted students must pay the UW Enrollment Deposit before submitting a housing contract. You can find information that will help you make informed choices about living and dining on campus on our website. Once you have perused your options, you can complete a contract online.

What is the new student live-in policy?

To help you maximize your potential, the UW Trustees have established a policy requiring new students to live in UW residence halls during their first academic year on campus and to contract for a minimum of a 12-accesses-per-week dining plan. There are a few exceptions to this policy as defined by the Board of Trustees which includes transfer students with 24 or more credit hours earned non-current with high school. 100% of the deposit will be refunded to a new student's account if an exemption is granted before the start of classes in a given semester. Information can also be found on our new student live-in policy page.

When will I receive my room assignment and information about my roommate?

The first round of room assignments will be made in early July-you will receive an email to your UWyo email address. Mailings will be sent over semester break in December and January for new arrivals at that time.

May I cancel my contract?

Prior to May 1 you may cancel your residence halls contract in writing and receive a full refund of your deposit. Your deposit will be forfeited if you apply to cancel after May 1st and you may be held to the remainder of your contract. After May 1, you may cancel if you are no longer attending the university or have extenuating circumstances. Contact us for more information. Failure to use the room and/or dining plan does not automatically release you from this contract and its financial obligations. Please see our apartments page for information on apartments leases.

Can I live in the halls just for 1 semester?

Room and Dining Plan contracts are binding for an entire academic year (August-May). Students who arrive on campus in the spring, will only be held to the spring semester. There are exceptions to this if you graduate or withdraw from UW, will be student teaching, or will be on some other required university sponsored activity.

What are the payment options available?

Accounts Receivable ( sets payment plans for each semester.

Why can't my parents alter my contract or get information about my contract or room assignment?

As a student, you are entitled to rights of privacy under the FERPA Act. You can read more information about this at

Living in the Halls

How can I get involved on campus?

A First Year Experience website has been created to connect students to campus resources and answer a number of additional frequently asked questions about the University of Wyoming.

How do I receive my mail in the residence halls?

Packages and mail will be delivered to the Residence Halls weekdays and Saturdays, usually in the late afternoon. To ensure that you receive your packages they must be addressed as follows:


Please note that the words "Post Office" or "P.O.", or "Box" are NOT part of your address. If written, this may delay your mail or it could be sent back to the sender.
Also note that the mailbox number is NOT your room number, but a designated mailbox number. You will receive this mailbox number in the letter containing your room information. Contact RL&DS at 307-766-3175 if you do not have this number.

Are there computer labs available to students living in the halls?

The residential computer lab is conveniently located in the lower level of the Washakie Center and is a place to do homework, work on group projects, and check e-mail. The lab’s computers are connected to the UW student network and offer the latest technology. In addition to the Washakie Lab, the IT Center just across the street has a computer lab with extended hours.

Where are the laundry facilities located in the Halls?

The laundry facilities are located in the basement of each hall. Laundry is operated by card activation, not coins. Money can be added to the account by depositing money at the WyoOne ID Office or through the machines located in the lobby of each residence hall. The laundry facilities are maintained by Vending Services. Should you have questions please contact them at 307-766-4104.

Are extension cords, power strips and other electrical appliances allowed?

Avoid overloading electrical outlets. Extension cords are not allowed. The surge protector we recommend should be UL approved and have a number of safety features including: a design to prevent cord fires, ground faults, surges, and overloads. Please purchase surge protectors that are designated to detect cord damage, disconnect powering 25/1000 of a second, and that prevent cord fires and shock hazards. We require all students living in the residence halls to use surge protectors with these safety features designed into the product.

Each side of a residence hall room can support a maximum wattage of 1500 watts at a given time. Given this, students must be mindful of items being used simultaneously.

I like to hunt. Where can I put my hunting equipment?

Hunting equipment such as firearms, bow and arrows, etc. must be stored with the University Police and will be available to you 24 hours a day.

When something in my room needs to be fixed, how do I submit a work-order?

You may submit work orders to the RL&DS maintenance office on our website work request form

What if my roommate and I don't get along?

If roommates are having trouble getting along, the department offers peer mediation services to help roommates communicate their issues to each other and develop a plan for working together in the future. Students can speak with their RA for more information about this program. Each case of roommate conflict is dealt with on an individual basis. There are no room changes in the first two weeks of school. However, they may be permitted if approved by your Residence Coordinator.

What can I bring?

The best advice is for students to work with their roommates to coordinate who brings what for any large items, i.e. stereo, TV, or refrigerator. Due to safety requirements, students should not bring appliances with open heating elements, i.e. grills, hot plates, toaster ovens, or skillets; halogen lamps; or large amp appliances. If students are in doubt of whether a particular item is allowed, they should contact the Residence Life & Dining Services office with their specific question.

What type of safety is provided?

24-hour front desk coverage is available in White Hall, and all halls maintain night-time RA on Call coverage for any concerns that arise after business hours.

Do the Halls and Dining Services remain open during the holidays?

  • During Thanksgiving, the halls are open only to individuals with card access to the halls. Dining services are provided, please watch for hours of operation.
  • During Spring Break, the halls are open only to individuals with card access to the halls. Dining services are provided, please watch for hours of operation.
  • During Easter break, the halls are open only to individuals with card access to the halls. Dining services are provided, please watch for hours of operation.
  • During the Semester Break between fall and spring semesters, the halls are closed. Students wishing to remain on campus will be temporarily moved to a designated hall as space is available. A daily rate will be charged for this break. No dining services will be provided.

Can I have a pet?

Only fish are allowed in tanks that are no greater than 20 gallons in size. Other animals living in or out of tanks or aquariums are not allowed.


Dining Services

I have special dietary needs. Is there someone who can help me arrange what I need?

Nutrition counseling and specialty foods can be arranged based on dietary needs and requests. To discuss any nutritional needs, please make an appointment with our Dietitian by calling Residence Life & Dining Services at 307-766-3175 or or email

What type of Dining Plan am I required to have?

Residents of White, Downey, McIntyre and Orr halls must select the Any 12 access plan, the Any 15 access plan, or the Unlimited access plan; however, only Sophomores and above standing students are eligible for 9-meal access plan. Apartments residents are not required to have a dining plan. Read more about Dining Plans here.

What does "Dining Dollars" mean on the board rates?

Dining Dollars (formerly known as PLU$$) add value to students’ Dining Plan by enabling them to eat at a variety of retail establishments on campus. Dining Dollars can be used across the University including the Elements, the Wyoming Union Food Court, Rendezvous, Book & Bean, and select vending machines. Any unused Dining Dollars can be carried over from the fall semester to the spring semester; however funds remaining at the end of the spring semester will not be refunded. Because Dining Dollars are part of a Dining Plan, it can only be used for dining and food vending purposes. Dining Dollars are now available for purchase online.

Are there any foods that I can take out of Washakie?

You may take two pieces of fruit or one bakery item when you leave.

Can I swipe my card to allow guests in for meals?

No, your meal swipes are not transferable however you will receive guest passes with the purchase of a meal plan.

Didn't see your question? Click here for more FAQ's!

Contact Us

Residence Life & Dining Services

Dept. 3394 1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071-2000

Phone: (307) 766-3175

Toll Free: (866) 653-0212


Residence Life & Dining Services Logo
Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window) Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window) Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window) Find us on Pinterest (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon