Residential living is a valuable experience. Research conducted on a national level indicates that students who live in the residence halls are more likely to stay in school and graduate and are generally more satisfied with their college experience. Data collected by the University of Wyoming shows that first-year students living on campus earn higher grade point averages than off-campus students.
To help you maximize your potential, the UW Trustees have established a policy requiring newly admitted students to live in UW residence halls during their first academic year on campus and to contract for a minimum of a 12-accesses-per-week dining plan. There are a few exceptions to this policy as defined by the Board of Trustees.
Possible reasons for exemption include:
- You are 21 years of age or older
- You are married
- You are a single parent with custody of your child
- You plan to live in Laramie (or within a 60 mile driving distance from Laramie) with your parent(s), grandparents, sibling(s), or legal guardian(s)
- You will live on property purchased by your parents or legal guardians while attending UW
- You have completed two semesters as a full-time student, or the equivalent credit hours, at a prior university or college. (24 credit hours)
- You have a medical condition that is directly related to living in the residence halls and/or eating in Washakie Dining Center. You must be able to provide documentation, which explains why your problem cannot be accommodated by the residence hall or dining room facilities.
Download an Exemption Form here. Exemption forms are also available by emailing, calling, writing, or visiting the Residence Life & Dining Services Offices. You will receive written notice when your exemption has been reviewed. 100% of the deposit will be refunded to a new student's account if an exemption is granted at least one business day before the start of the contract.
If you think you may qualify for an exemption from the New Student Live-In Policy, contact the Residence Life & Dining Services office at 1-866-653-0212 or via email at email@example.com.