Your roommate is someone with whom you will share the next year of your life. Would you prefer to room with someone you know or have us select a roommate for you? Sometimes best friends make the best roommates, and sometimes they don't.
After you receive your room assignment, you are strongly encouraged to contact your roommate before move-in to get to know each other before you arrive at UW.
Should We Room Together?
Setting expectations early can ensure the best possible roommate experience. Roommates will receive a checklist of discussion points to talk over during their first days on campus, but if you and a friend are interested in rooming together, take a few moments to discuss the following before you submit your applications:
- What time do you think you'll generally go to bed?
- How do you feel about borrowing/using each others' belongings?
- How will you handle visitors?
- Do you plan to study regularly in your room, or would you prefer to study elsewhere?
If you do choose to room with a friend, it’s important to follow these steps:
- Each of you must select the other on your Residence Life & Dining Services Contract and include each other’s student W number.
- Roommates should complete their Residence Life & Dining Services Contracts prior to July 1st. After this date, space is limited, and it may not be possible to be placed together.
If you have a friend who will also be attending UW with whom you wish to room, please request that person on the contract when you apply. Remember, you must both request each other as roommates. Please submit your contracts as soon as possible--the priority deadline for roommate requests is in early July.
Should one roommate change plans, a new roommate will be assigned. You may request a change at any time before the residence halls open by letting the staff in the Residence Life & Dining Services office know of your request in writing. Please mail us a letter or send e-mail to email@example.com. Roommate requests cannot be guaranteed; however, we will make every effort to accommodate your request.
During the first two weeks of fall semester, student requests to move to other rooms, floors, and halls will be restricted to emergency situations only. A date-priority listing will be used to notify you of vacancies. You must check out of your current residence hall room with your Resident Assistant, and complete a change of status form and room condition sheet before moving to the new room/hall assignment.