Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now


Teacher Education Program


Registration for fall and spring semester courses requires that students receive advising. (Advising is not required for summer semester registration.) Please check the academic calendar for advising timeframes. Students must contact their assigned faculty member advisors to schedule advising appointments. If your advisor is Todd Krieger or Christi Hutchison, call 307-766-2230 to make an appointment.

It is essential that students meet with their assigned advisor each semester to ensure that sufficient academic progress toward their degrees is being made. Teacher Preparation and Advising Office advisors can assist with basic questions and information, but TPAO advisors are not expected to advise students who already have an assigned advisor.

If a student has difficulty with his/her advisor, the student may request a change of advisor using the change of advisor/major/minor form. Submit completed form at the Teacher Preparation and Advising Office, Room 100 McWhinnie Hall.

Substitutions and Waivers

Check with your advisor or the TPAO if you have questions about substituting or waiving program requirements or University requirements. In order for an exception to be made to a UW or College of Education procedure or requirement, you must file an Exception Request. Exception Request forms are used for a variety of purposes. Any paperwork (petitions, change of major forms, etc.) requiring the signature of the College Dean or Designee is signed in the TPAO. Do not take Exception Request forms to the Dean of the College of Education's Office.

The following chart describes the different types of exception requests:

Type of Exception RequestSituation
 College of Education Exception Request When requesting a waiver or substitution for a CoEd Teacher Education or content course requirement
 University Studies Petition When requesting a waiver or substitution for a USP course
 University Exception Request When requesting an exception to a University Regulation that affects a student's academic record
 Overload Petition When requesting an exception to the maximum number of credit hours per semester (for credit load limits, see the General Bulletin)
 Academic Reinstatement Petition When requesting reinstatement to UW after academic suspension
 Academic Renewal Petition When requesting to return to UW after a prolonged absence and prior unsuccessful academic work exists
 Transfer Guarantee Request When requesting to guarantee transfer credit of future credits for
another college or university

All of the UW exception request forms are available online through the Registrar's office.  All forms are also available in the Office of Teacher Education.

Contact Us

Teacher Preparation and Advising Office

Dept. 3374

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-2230

Fax: (307) 766-2018


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon