Troubleshoot Problems with a Telephone Message Waiting Indicator (MWI) Light that Will Not Turn Off
- Access your Exchange Mailbox using Outlook 2007 or Outlook Web Access (OWA).
Note: If you do not have access to Outlook or Internet Explorer on your computer, use Outlook Web Access on a remote student lab node by logging into the Remote Student Lab system at http://microlab.uwyo.edu/UWSremote/. Open IE and log into UW Outlook Web Access (OWA) at https://uwmail.uwyo.edu.
- Locate the Voice Mail search folder in the folder list.
- From Outlook or OWA Expand the Search Folders folder and look for the Voice Mail sub-folder.
- Click on the Voice Mail search folder and verify that it is not locating any unread voice mail. If it contains some unread messages then listen to those messages and check to see if the MWI light turns off.
- If no Voice Mail search folder exists then follow these steps to create one:
- Call and leave a voice mail message in your voice mailbox.
- Via your phone call 61111 and enter your PIN to log into your mailbox.
- Listen to the test message that you just recorded.
- Check Outlook or Outlook Web Access and the Voice Mail search folder should now exist.
- Once the Voice Mail search folder is created wait until the next business morning to verify whether your MWI light is working correctly. (Maintenance is performed each night on the software that turns the MWI light on and off and so it may take until that maintenance is performed before the software detects the new search folder and starts to use it.)
If after following these steps the MWI light is still on and there are no unread messages in the Voice Mail search folder then please contact the Telecom Help Desk at 6-4357, option 2, for assistance.
Reviewed: 0809 By: GG, MVS