This 4-H project is for those who like hiking and camping! Progress from day hikes,
to overnight camping trips and then to extended backpacking expeditions as you hike
through the three activity guides and the helper’s guide. Experiences relate to food,
shelter, Leave No Trace ethics, safety, navigation equipment and camp management.
Here's What You Can Learn . . . .
- Plan and pack for a day hike
- Learn to select appropriate outdoor clothing/shoes for hiking
- Understand how to use layering to regulate body temperature
- Plan appropriate food for hiking
- Prepare a basic first aid kit
- Understand how to care for blisters and hot spots
- Practice Leave No Trace principles
- Learn how to use a compass
- Identify hazardous weather and natural shelters
- Observe plants and animals