- Ph.D. Cornell University 1998
- M.S. SUNY Albany 1988
- B.S. SUNY Albany 1984
- 2012-present: Head, Department of Computer Science, University of Wyoming.
- 2015-present: Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Wyoming.
- 2004-2015: Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Wyoming.
- 2008: Professor (visiting), School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews,
- 1998-2004: Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Wyoming.
- 1988-1997: Computer Scientist, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA.
- 1985-1988: Software Engineer, Infologic at GE Corporate Research and Development,
- 1983-1985: Software Engineer, Phoenix Data Systems, Albany, N.Y.
- 1980-1981: Systems Programmer, CMT Trade Center, N.Y., N.Y.
Broadly, my research area is the applications of logic and formal methods in computer
science. My research is motivated by the close connection between mathematical proofs
and computer programs, an idea that is made precise by the Curry-Howard isomorphism.
Areas of specialty include functional programming, constructive logic, type theory,
theorem proving, applications of proofs-as-programs, extraction of programs from formal
proofs. I am also doing joint research with colleagues in the philosophy department
designing logics to model beliefs.
- James Caldwell and Ryan Roan. Type Checking SQL for Secure Database Access, 2012 Symposium
on Trends in Functional Programming (TFP 2012), University of St Andrews, UK. June
- James Caldwell. Teaching natural deduction as a subversive activity , Third International
Congress on Tools for Teaching Logic, June 1-4, 2011,Salamanca, Spain.
- Sunil Kothari and James Caldwell. A Machine Checked Model of Idempotent MGU Axioms
for a List of Equational Constraints in Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer
Science, Vol. 42, pp. 24-38, July 14, 2010, Edinburgh, UK.
- Sunil Kothari and James Caldwell. A Machine Checked Model of MGU Axioms, Applications
of Finite Maps and Functional Induction, UNIF 2009, the 23nd International Workshop
on Unification, August 2, 2009, Montreal, CA
- Sunil Kothari and James Caldwell, On Extending Wand's Type Reconstruction Algorithm
to Handle Polymorphic Let. Logic and Theory of Algorithms, Fourth Conference on Computability
in Europe, CiE 2008 , Edited by Arnold Beckmann, Costas Dimitracopoulos, and Benedikt
LÃ¶ pp. 254-263. University of Athens, June 2008.
- James Caldwell & Josef Pohl, Constructive Membership Predicates as Index Types, Electronic
Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, 174 (7), p.3-16, Jun 2007
- Tjark Weber & James Caldwell, Constructively Characterizing Fold and Unfold, in Logic
Based Program Synthesis and Transformation, LNCS, Vol. 3018, pp. 110 - 127, 2004.