Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

General Internship Information

How To Find Experiences Related to Your Field of Study:



campus career fairs; which occur in both the fall and spring semesters.



on-campus interviews; we use the Handshake database system which is accessible to all UW students.



internship postings listed on Handshake.



companies and employers by browsing their websites.



personal and/or professional contacts; give credence to who you know and talk with them; this is called "Networking" and it is very beneficial.



specific organizations because not all companies advertise their short-term opportunities; we can help you develop and implement a plan.



internet links and internship search engines.

Remember to be proactive in your job search and before you apply for anything you should have a polished resume; ACES can assist you with this.

Receiving Credit for Your Internship

Click on your college or school below to learn more about receiving credit for your internship.

Students interested in internships for academic credit may speak with the internship coordinator for the College. The number of credits for each opportunity is determined by the internship coordinator in consultation with employer and student. Please call 766-4034 for more information.

Students may earn credit for appropriate internships through most departments/programs in the College of Arts and Sciences. Prior to beginning an internship, students must work with an A&S faculty sponsor in the department who will discuss allowable credit hours for the nature of the internship work and any accompanying academic work/portfolio. Class standing, grade point average, course prerequisites may play a role in this discussion. Students should contact the relevant department/program and/or faculty member. If a department's internship course number is not available or not appropriate for certain internships, or if students do not know who to contact the A&S Dean's Office; A&S Bldg. 114, 766-4106.

College of Business will only grant credit to undergraduate and graduate students with majors declared in the college. Academic credit can be received during the fall, spring, or summer sessions. All COB students interested in receiving credit must visit the Peter M. and Paula Green Johnson Student Success Center, Room 60 in the College of Business. The Peter M. and Paula Green Johnson Student Success Center staff will inform you of all internship obligations. They can also be reached at 766-8249 or

Internships for academic credit are not offered through this college. Education students get course credit by participating in practicum during the Phases section of courses. Also, all Education students are required to participate in Student Teaching before graduation. Although summer internships for credit are not offered through Education, working at a summer camp with children would be a great way to ‘test-drive' this career choice. Check with Center for Advising and Career Services if interested in seeking out these types of opportunities.

If seeking an internship for academic credit, contact your respective academic advisor to determine how/if the number of academic credits align with your degree program. Your academic advisor may then connect you with a departmental internship coordinator who oversees the academic internship-for-credit course in your respective department; they will determine if the actual work being done for the internship aligns appropriately with identified academic experiences work. Currently all departments in CEAS now have an internship-for-credit course if needed. Academic credit for a course must be arranged before the internship begins due to the internship needing to be approved. Tyler Grabner is the Internship Coordinator for the CEAS Center for Student Success/Career Services and can also assist you in understanding the steps for obtaining an academic-credit internship. He can also assist with identifying internships that aren’t focused on earning academic-credit. Contact Tyler by email at

For internship information contact a professor in the department that you are majoring in.

Legal Externships: (1-2 hours max. per semester; max. 4 hours in academic career) Legal training in governmental offices or nonprofit organizations where the student is performing legal work under the direct supervision of a practicing attorney or judge. No student may receive credit in an external program unless it has been previously approved by the College of Law faculty. Credit earned for a grade of S/U only. Prerequisite: Second- or third-year standing. You can contact Ashli Tomisich at 766-4074 or or Tim Crawford at 766-6550 or for more information regarding internships or externships.

Students may earn credit for internships or undergraduate research for most concentrations in the Energy Resource Management and Development program. Contact Kami Danaei at for more information.

Students may earn credit for internships. Contact Justine Sulia at for more information.

Contact Us

Advising • Career • Exploratory Studies Center

222 Knight Hall Dept. 3195 1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-2398


Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon