Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Returning Students


Enrolling at UW as a Returning Student

We're happy your journey has brought you back to UW.

The process of re-enrolling at UW will depend on how long you have been gone from UW, if you've taken college coursework since you left, whether you are a graduate or undergraduate student, and your status as a student when you left UW.


  • If less than one academic year has passed since you last took UW coursework and you have not taken courses elsewhere, you may simply schedule an advising appointment with your advisor, then register through WyoWeb.
  • If less than one year has passed since you were last enrolled at UW and you have taken courses from another institution, you are not required to reapply, but you are responsible for having official transcripts sent to the UW Admissions Office so that credit may be evaluated and applied toward your degree at UW (if transferable).
  • If more than one academic year has passed since you last took UW coursework, you must complete the Returning UW Students' application for admission. You will not be required to pay the application fee again.
  • If you left UW on academic suspension, in addition to completing the required admission actions above, you must also submit a Petition for Reinstatement through Advising, Career, and Exploratory Studies (ACES). To re-enroll, you will need to be admitted to UW AND your petition will have to be approved by ACES. Reinstatement Petitions must be submitted 15 days before the start of the semester for which you are seeking reinstatement.

Graduate Students

  • Students enrolled in a graduate program who are absent from UW for one year or less do not need to reapply, but must connect with their graduate advisor for permission to begin taking coursework again.
  • Graduate students absent from UW for longer than one academic year must reapply. You should connect directly with your academic department regarding the admissions process.

If you have any questions about the steps necessary to re-enroll at UW, contact the UW Admissions Office at (800) 342-5996 or (307) 766-5160.

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon