- Ph.D. Pennsylvania State University 1975
- M.A. University of Nebraska 1970
- B.A. University of Wyoming 1968
- Professor of Computer Science University of Wyoming 1992--present
- Associate Professor of Computer Science University of Wyoming 1986--1992
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science University of Wyoming 1980--1986
- Supply Assistant Professor of Mathematics University of Wyoming 1978--1980
- Lecturer of Mathematics University of Virginia 1976--1978
- Member of School of Mathematics Institute for Advanced Study 1975--1976
Automated Reasoning, Mathematical Logic, Number Theory , Mathematical Modeling of
Computing Systems, "A Computational Logic" of Boyer-Kaufmann-Moore.
- J. Cowles, Knuth's generalization of McCarthy's 91 function, In: J. Moore, P. Manolios,
and M. Kaufmann, editors, Computer-Aided Reasoning: ACL2 Case Studies, Kluwer Academic
Press, 2000. An Open Problem of Knuth is resolved.
- R. Gamboa and J. Cowles, 2012, A Cantor trio: Denumerability, the reals, and the real
algebraic numbers. Third International Conference on Interactive Theorem Proving,
ITP 2012, Princeton, NJ, August 13--16.
- J. Cowles and R. Gamboa, 2011, Verifying Sierpinski and Riesel numbers in ACL2, Proceedings
of the Tenth International Workshop on the ACL2 Theorem Prover and its Applications,
Austin, TX, November 3--4, 20--27.
- M. Arnold, J. Cowles, V. Paliouras, and I. Kouretas, 2011, Towards a quaternion complex
logarithmic number system, ARITH 20, 20th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, Tubingen,
Germany, July 25--27.
- J. Cowles and R. Gamboa, 2010, Using a first order logic to verify that some set of
reals has no Lesbegue measure, Proceedings of the First International Conference on
Interactive Theorem Proving, ITP 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 11--14, 25--34.
- R. Gamboa and J. Cowles, 2009, Inverse functions in ACL2(r), Proceedings of the Eighth
International Workshop on the ACL2 Theorem Prover and its Applications, Northeastern
University, Boston, MA, May 11--12, 57--61.
- R. Gamboa and J. Cowles, 2007, Theory extension in ACL2(r), J. of Automated Reasoning
- J. Cowles, D. Greve, and W. Young, 2007, The while-language challenge: first progress,
Proceedings of the Seventh International Workshop on the ACL2 Theorem Prover and its
Applications, Austin, Texas, November 15--16, 25--29.