CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION PLAN B RESOURCES
Plan B Non-Thesis:
- This program type carries a minimum of 32 hours of course work…at least 14 of these
hours must be in the student’s major field. The Plan B non-thesis program differs
from the thesis program type in that it may include additional hours of coursework
instead of thesis hours. It permits a wider distribution of courses and permits a
wider array of possible final products than the Plan A thesis program type…the Plan
B project may resemble a thesis, but the topic is not research or original. The non-thesis
project may take the form of a business plan or a professional portfolio.
- Most…units…have the student prepare a paper, or sometimes two papers, as their final project.
In the selection of a subject the student shall be guided by the advisor… The paper(s)
should present the results of study and at a level of scholastic quality commensurate
with the Plan A thesis project. The Plan B non-thesis is different from the Plan
A thesis in that it is not an in-depth research project.
(Graduate Bulletin, 2—2-4, p. 12, “Regulations, Policies, Procedures)
Students who select the Plan B non-thesis option should work with advisors and committee
members to select from among the following formats that best reflects their accomplishments
in the Master’s Degree program:
- An article ready for submission to a publication that focuses on teacher practices.
- Parts or all of the National Board Certification portfolio.
- A portfolio of scholarship, research, and changes to practice that have occurred during
the Master’s degree program.
- An action research project conducted in the classroom, perhaps emerging from coursework
done for other classes in the program.
- Written comprehensive questions designed by the committee to reflect the students
program, followed by an oral discussion of the questions.
- A technology-based presentation (e.g. to a school board, for a conference) of one’s
work or an area of interest in the classroom.
- A grant application in one’s area of interest, with supporting documents.
- A pilot or prospectus for a larger research project to be conducted in the future.
- Other with approval of Master’s committee.
Sample Plan B Template
IRB Guidelines for Proposal Approval or Exemption
APA Writing Resources from OWL-Purdue
Wyoming Scholars Repository (WySR)
It is strongly encouraged, but not required, that the student upload their completed
Plan B project to WySR.