Xiaohong Liu, Professor
Wyoming Excellence Chair in Climate Science
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, Nanjing University, P.R. China, 1992
- M.S., Atmospheric Science, Nanjing University, P.R. China, 1989
- B.S., (Highest honors) Atmospheric Physics, Nanjing University, P.R. China, 1986
- Physics and Dynamics of Climate
- Aerosols, Clouds and Precipitation
- Aerosol-Cloud-Precipitation Interactions;
- Aerosol Direct and Indirect Effects on Climate;
- Global and Regional Modeling of Aerosol Life Cycle in the Atmosphere and Impacts on Climate;
- Development and Evaluation of Cloud and Aerosol Schemes for Climate Models;
- Modeling and Parameterization of Ice Nucleation and Its Effects on Clouds, Precipitation and Climate.
Academic and Professional Experience:
2013.08- : Professor and Wyoming Excellence Chair in Climate Science, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of Wyoming, Laramie, USA
2006.01-2013.07: Senior Research Scientist, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, USA
2010.12-: Guest Professor, Nanjing University, China.
2010.06-: Oversea Advisor of Ph.D. Students, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
2002.01-2005.12: Assistant Research Scientist (Research Faculty), Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
2000.02-2001.12: Research Fellow, Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Space Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
1998.01-1998.04,1999.10-2000.01:Visiting Scientist, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
1996.04-1997.05: Alexandervon Humboldt Research Fellow, Fraunhofer Institute for Atmospheric Environmental Research (IFU), Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
1995.04-1996.03: Research Scientist, Working Group for Air Chemistry, Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus, Berlin, Germany
1994.07-1995.03, 1997.06-1999.09: Research Associate Professor, Research Professor, Ph.D. Advisor (1999), Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, P.R. China.
1992.08-1994.07: Post-doctor, Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, P.R. China
Honors and Awards:
- Named to the list “Highly Cited Researchers 2014” by Thomson-Reuters, 2014;
- Exceptional Contribution Program (ECP) Award, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2012;
- Outstanding Performance Award, Fundamental and Computational Science Directorate, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2010;
- World Meteorology Organization (WMO) Young Scientist Award, 2001;
- China Meteorological Agency (CMA) Prof. Tu Chang-Wang Young Scientist Award (1st class), 2000;
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Mariolopoulos-Kanaginis Award (Honorable Mention, 3rd place), for paper in Atmospheric Environmental Research, 1998;
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow, Germany, 1996-1997;
- Elected into "100 Talent Program" of Chinese Academy of Science, 1996-1999;