Electrical and Computer Engineering
College of Engineering and Applied Science
- B.S. Electronic Engineering Technology, University of Nebraska Lincoln (Omaha campus), 1979
- M.E. Electrical Engineering, University of Idaho at Moscow, 1986
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1993
Areas of Expertise: Digital and Analog Image Processing, Biomimetic Vision, Embedded Controllers, Assistive Technology
68HC12: Supplemental instructional information on the two textbooks co-written by Daniel Pack and Steven Barrett.
Recent Journal Articles (Bold print indicates student co-authors.):
- B. K. Dean, C.H.G. Wright, and S.F. Barrett, "Biomimetic Signal Conditioning and Light Adaptation for Compound Vision Sensors," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, January 2015
- I. Wambeke and S.F. Barrett,, "Service Learning: Industrial Embedded Systems Course," Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 4 No. 4, October - December 2013, pp. 89-99.
- J. Catchpole, S.F. Barrett, C.H.G. Wright, "For Students By Students: Labware and Courseware Development," Computers in Education Journal, Volume 3, Number 3, Jul - Sep 2012, 91-98.
- G.P. Luke, C. H.G. Wright, and S.F. Barrett, "A Multi-Aperture Bio-Inspired Sensor with Hyperacuity," IEEE Sensors Journal special issue on Biomimetic Sensors, vol. 12, no. 2. pp. 308-314, February 2012. (Invited Paper)
- R.S. Prabhakara, C.H.G. Wright, and Steven F. Barrett, "Motion Detection: a Biomimetic Vision Sensor Versuus a CCD Camera Sensor," IEEE Sensors Journal special issue on Miomimetic Sensors, vol.12, no. 2. pp. 298-307, February 2012. (Invited Paper)
- A. Purdy, S.F. Barrett and C.H.G. Wright, "Hands on Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Laboratory for an Industrial Controls Course," Computers in Education Journal, Volume 2, Number 4, October - December 2011, pp. 28-36.
- S. Barrett, J. Anderson, C. Dolan, T.V. Edgar, P. Crips, "Robots in Education: Middle School to Grad School and Beyond!" Computers in Education Journal, Volume 2, Number 3, July-September 2011, pp. 57-69.
- D. McCarthy, C.H.G. Wright, S.F. Barrett, J.C. Hamann, "Student-Created Laboratory Exercises for a Digital Systems Design Course using HDL and PLDs," Computers in Education Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2, April - June 2011, 75-88.
- C. Hager, S. Barrett, C. Wright, J. Hamann, "HDL Based Design Problems for Computer Architecture," Computers in Education Journal, accepted for publication, new sequence, Vol. I, No. 4, October - December 2010, pp. 54-69.
- J.D. Davis, S.F. Barrett, C.H.G. Wright, and M. Wilcox, "Bio-inspired Apposition Compound Eye Machine Vision Sensor System," Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 4 (2009).
- D. Dang, D. Pack, and S.F. Barrett, "Microcontroller Programming and Interfacing: Texas Instruments MSP432 (working title)," Morgan-Claypool Publishers, available June 2016.
- S.F. Barrett and J. Kridner, "Bad to the Bone: Crafting Electonic Systems with BeagleBone Black," (BeagleBone -- ARM processor and Linux operating system), Morgan Claypool publishers, 2nd edition, final draft under peer review, availiable December 2015.
- "Arduino Microcontroller: Processing for Everyone," Third Edition, Steven Barrett, Morgan-Claypool Publishers, August 2013.
- "Bad to the Bone: Crafting Electronic Systems with Beagle Bone," Steven Barrett and Jason Kridner, Morgan-Claypool Publishers , May 2013.
- "Atmel AVR Microcontroller Primer: Programming and Interfacing," Second Edition, Steven Barrett and Daniel Pack, Morgan-Claypool Publishers, 2012.
- "Arduino Microcontroller: Processing for Everyone," Second Edition, Steven Barrett, Morgan-Claypool Publishers, 2012.
- "A Little Book on Teaching: a Beginners Guide for Educators of Engineering and Applied Science," Steven Barrett, with illustrations by Jonathan Barrett Morgan-Claypool Publishers, 2012.
- "Microcontroller Programming and Interfacing: Texas Instruments MSP430," Steven Barrett and Daniel Pack, Morgan-Claypool Publishers, 2011
- "Embedded Systems Design with the Atmel AVR," Steven Barrett, Morgan-Claypool Publishers, 2010.
- "Microcontroller Theory and Application: HC12 and S12," 2nd ed., Daniel Pack and Steven Barrett, Pearson Prentice Hall, 2008.
- "Microcontroller Fundamentals for Engineers and Scientists." Steven Barrett and Daniel Pack, Morgan-Claypool Pulbishers, 2006.
- "Embedded Systems Design and Applications with the 68HC12 and HCS12," Steven Barrett and Daniel Pack, Prentice-Hall, 2005.
- Also released in China (2006) Russia (2007) and India (2008).
- C.H.G. Wright and S.F. Barrett, Invited Chapter - Biomimetic Vision Sensors, "Engineered Biomimicry: Bioinspiration, Biomimetics, and Bioreplication," edited by Akhlesh Lakhtakia and Raul J. Martin-Palma, Elsevier, 2013, pgs. 1-32, ISBN 978-0-12-415995-2.
- S.F. Barrett, D.J. Pack, Invited Chapter - Microcontrollers, "Handbook of Networked and Embedded Control Systems," edited by D. Hristu-Varsakelis and W.S. Levine, Birkhauser Publishing, 2005, pgs. 295-322, ISBN: 0-8176-3239-5.
- K.Laurin, S.F. Barrett, K. Colling, K. Cowie, Invited Chapter - Chapter 5: Connecting Students with Persons Who Have Disabilities, "National Science Foundation 2002 Engineering Senior Design Projects to Aid Persons with Disabilities," edited by J.D. Enderle and B. Hallowell, Creative Learning Press, Mansfield, CT, 2004, pgs. 33-39, ISBN: 1-931280-00-2.
- S.F. Barrett, C.H.G. Wright, A.J. Welch, Invited Chapter - Chapter 3: Lasers in Ophthamology, "Medical Applications of Lasers," Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, USA., 2002, pgs. 59-89, ISBN: 0-7923-7662-5.
- C.H.G. Wright, S.F. Barrett, A.J. Welch, Invited Chapter - Chapter 2: Laser Tissue Interactions, "Medical Applications of Lasers," Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, USA., 2002 pgs. 21-58, ISBN: 0-7923-7662-5.
- A.J. Welch, R. Richards-Kortum, H.G. Rylander III, S. Barrett, N. Ramanujam, I. Cilesiz, E.Chan, Chapter: Automation of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Systems for Medical Applications of Lasers, "Biomedical Optical Instrumentation and Laser-Assisted Biotechnology," edited by: A. Scheggi, S. Martellucci, A.N. Chester, and R. Pratesi. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1996, ISBN: 0792341724.
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) Engineering Education Excellence Award, 2008.
- President's Award, Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium, Inc., 2007.
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, Wyoming Professor of the Year, 2004.
- John P. Ellbogen Meritorious Classroom Teaching Award, University of Wyoming, 2004.
- Muons Imaging - imaging material via naturally occurring muons
- Biomimetics - Modeling the L4 Neuron of the Fly (Musca Domestica) Vision System, project to develop a parallel, analog electronics-based vision system. (WYO Article)
- Funded by the National Science Foundation's Division of Bioengineering and Environmental Systems to establish a program to assist individuals with disabilities. The purpose of the program is to provide a meaningful design experience for University of Wyoming, College of Engineering students that will directly aid individuals with disabilities in the state of Wyoming.
- Retinal photocoagulation system for the clinical treatment of retinal disorders (i.e. diabetic retinopathy, retinal tears). The computer-assisted system under development can rapidly tears). The computer-assisted system under development can rapidly and safely place multiple therapeutic lesions at desired locations on the retina in a matter of seconds. Separate low-speed prototype subsystems have been developed to control lesion depth dynamically during irradiation and to control lesion placement while compensating for retinal movement.
- Embedded Controllers - Wall Following Robot. This project concentrates on using the Motorola HC12 embedded controller to guide a Wall Following Robot through an unknown maze. The robot navigates through an unknown maze detecting walls using infra-red sensors and "land mines" (magnets) in the maze floor. This project will be used as a class laboratory project in an embedded controller class to teach complex embedded systems concepts.