Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

EENR Certificate Program Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Why should I pursue a certificate in EENR?

Earning a certificate of specialization in Environmental, Energy, and Natural Resources (EENR) law serves as an endorsement that officially recognizes students who have tailored their legal educations to develop competency in these fields. The certificate reflects students’ deeper and broader understanding in these important areas of law and communicates this competence to potential employers.

  1. When can I enroll in the certificate program?

Students may enroll in the EENR Certificate Program at any time during their law school career. It would be beneficial, however, for students to discuss the program with any member of the EENR faculty before the start of their 2L year. This timing will allow students to enroll in the program by the beginning of their 2L year and receive proper guidance in regards to course planning and otherwise. Third-year law students who have satisfied all or most of the program requirements may still apply and seek the certificate. Students need to enroll in the program by filling out the Online Enrollment Form.

  1. Which classes satisfy the requirements of the certificate program?

The College of Law offers a variety of EENR-related courses. Students must complete fifteen (15) total credits of coursework in the EENR law area. Students are required to take Administrative Law and either Environmental Law or Public Lands & Natural Resources Law. For the remaining nine (9) credits, students may select EENR elective courses offered by the College of Law. For a full list of the certificate program requirements and qualifying courses, please visit the Program Requirements Page.

  1. What qualifies as an appropriate writing requirement?

Students must complete an EENR law-related writing project that satisfies the College of Law’s advanced writing requirement and inform their EENR Certificate faculty advisor of their plan for meeting this requirement. It may be satisfied in one of three ways:

  • Students may take an EENR law course that has a writing component that satisfies the College of Law’s advanced writing requirement.
  • Students enrolled in the joint J.D./M.A. in ENR program with the Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources can count their thesis toward this requirement.
  • Students may work with any member(s) of the EENR faculty for approval of an external writing project that may satisfy the writing requirement.
  1. Are there any cross-listed courses from other departments on campus that satisfy certificate requirements?

Unless otherwise approved by the EENR faculty, only courses at the College of Law will count towards the certificate.

  1. Are there any additional fees or enrollment charges?

There are no additional fees for the EENR Certificate Program. Nor is there an enrollment charge. Students may withdraw from the program at any time without penalty.

Contact Us

College of Law

1000 E. University Ave., Dept. 3035

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-6416

Fax: 307-766-6417


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window) Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon