Contact us about graduate school!
Ross Hall 203
Ross Hall, Room 202
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Master's of Science Degree in Mathematics
GPA: 3.0 / 4.0 GRE*: 300 (157 Quantitative, 143 Verbal); GRE Math Subject Test
TOEFL*: 76 Internet-based exam or IELTS: 6.5
The Master of Science Degree in Mathematics is a two-year program that prepares students for careers in government, industry, and education. Applicants should have a broad background in mathematics, including proof-writing courses in abstract algebra and analysis. Many of our M.S. students graduate with experience as teaching assistants or part-time instructors. Students also conduct original mathematical research under the supervision of an advisor and research committee.
Contact Graduate Coordinator Lori Dockter for more information.
- Pass the foundation exam.
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Complete one semester of Math 5800-01, Professional Development.
- Complete 4 credits of Math 5960, Thesis Research (for Plan A degree only).
- Write and present a Plan A Thesis or a Plan B paper.
- Complete at least 30 hours of math-content course work at the 5000 level or above. Within these hours, the following core mathematics courses must be completed with a grade of A or B:
- 5200 Real Variables I
- 5230 Complex Variables I
- 5400 Methods of Applied Mathematics I
- 5310 Computational Methods I
- 5500 Advanced Linear Algebra
- 5550 Graduate Abstract Algebra