The A-Team: The Link with the Community
AWARE coordinates the A-Team, which is a campus-community coalition that works to develop, recommend, and assess best practices in policy, prevention and intervention, and enforcement to reduce underage drinking and excessive alcohol use. Some of the projects the A-Team has been involved with include:
- Alcohol policy recommendations to Laramie City Council
- Working with local judges to curb underage drinking
- UW alcohol policy recommendations
- Consultation and support for campus initiatives and programs
- Increasing student involvement in alcohol discussions and decisions
- Improving communication between students, departments, and agencies on alcohol issues
- TIPS Training, a responsible beverage service training program for campus departments and community businesses
- Local and State policy and program assistance
A-Team Strategic Plan
In order to guide the A-Team's progress a strategic plan was drafted on 12-08-06, which will guide the goals, objectives, and tactics of the A-Team through the 2010-2011 academic year. Five goals were identified to help increase alcohol related health and safety issues in the Laramie community. The goals are to decrease high risk drinking among UW students; reduce secondary negative effects of alcohol abuse among UW students; increase students' knowledge and awareness regarding safe, legal and responsible use of alcohol; develop, update, recommend, and consistently enforce alcohol policies; and to collect, compile, and analyze data on alcohol use among students to assist with needs assessment, strategic planning, and evaluation. For more information regarding the goals, tactics, objectives, and outcomes, click here.
Timeline of A-Team Contributions
Since the 2002-2003 academic year, the A-Team has made significant contributions to the Laramie and UW campus community, such as developing an on campus peer education program and participation with the city council. for further information regarding the accomplishments of the A-Team, please click here.
If you are interested in collaborating with the A-Team or have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com or call at 766-2187.
A-Team typically meets on the first Friday of the month during the academic year from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please contact us if you are interested in attending.