Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now

Interdisciplinary MS Program in Water Resources


Resources & Useful LInks

Careers in Hydrology

There are great opportunities awaiting hydrologists in the private sector, academia, State and Federal agencies.  It's a great idea to keep abreast of the basic requirements expected at various grade levels.

At the Federal level, to qualify as a Hydrologist for the US Forest Service or US Geological Survey one must have (from US Forest Service and USGS):

  1. A degree in physical or natural science, or engineering
  2. At least 30 semester hours in a combination of courses in hydrology, the physical sciences, geophysics, chemistry, engineering science, soils, mathematics, aquatic biology, atmospheric science,
    meteorology, geology, geomorphology, oceanography, or the management of conservation of water resources.
  3. The course work must include at least 6 semester hours in calculus (including both differential
    and integral calculus), and at least 6 semester hours in physics.


  1. A combination of education and experience-course work as shown above, plus appropriate experience, or additional education.
  2. Acceptable experience must include performance of scientific functions related to the study of water resources, based on and requiring a professional knowledge of related sciences and the consistent application of basic scientific principles to the solution of theoretical and practical hydrologic problems. Acceptable experience includes: field or laboratory work that would require application of hydrologic theory and related sciences such as geology, geochemistry, geophysics, geomorphology, physical geography, or civil engineering to making observations, performing stream surveys, taking samples, operating instruments, assembling data from source materials, analyzing and interpreting data, and reporting findings orally and in writing. In some cases, professional scientific experience was preceded by appropriate education in hydrology or by professional hydrology experience.

Search for Jobs

Job Requirements to be a Hydrologist

Links to Jobs in Hydrology

Contact Us

WRESE Program Chair, Scott Miller

Dept 3354

1000 E. University Ave.

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-4274


1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon