Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, 2005, Columbia University
- M.E. Biomedical Engineering, 1994, University of Virginia
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, 1992, Lehigh University
Specialization: Biointerfaces, Nanomaterials, Biosensors, Biomaterials
Johnson Materials Research Site
Summary of Research Activities
I have a research program that has focused on new materials and biointerfaces. Research
topics have included advanced carbon materials, spider silk biomaterials, SERS biosensors,
and immobilized enzyme systems. My teaching interests include biomaterials, biomedical
engineering, biochemical engineering, and sustainability topics. I teach a study abroad
course in Costa Rica on sustainability and systems thinking over the J-term.
- Zhang, H, Harpster, MH, Wison, WC, Johnson, PA, Surface-enhanced Raman Scattering Detection of DNAs Derived from Virus Genomes Using
Au-coated Paramagnetic Nanoparticles, Langmuir, 28 (8): 4030–4037 (2012).
- Zhang, H, Harpster, MH, Park, HJ, Wilson, WC, Johnson, PA, Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Detection of DNA Derived from the West Nile Virus
Genome Using Magnetic Capture of Raman-Active Gold Nanoparticles, Analytical Chemistry
83: 254-260 (2011).
- Park, HJ, McConnell, JT, Boddohi, S, Kipper, MJ, and Johnson, PA, Synthesis and characterization of enzyme–magnetic nanoparticle complexes: effect
of size on activity and recovery, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 83 (2): 198-203
- Neng, J, Harpster MH, Zhang H, Mecham JO, Wilson WC, Johnson, PA. A versatile SERS-based immunoassay for immunoglobulin detection using antigen-coated
gold nanoparticles and malachite green conjugated protein A/G, Biosensors and Bioelectronics
26 (3):1009-1525 (2010).
- Harpster, M, Zhang, H, Sankara-Warrier, AK, Ray, BH, Ward, TR, Kollmar, JP, Carron,
KT, Mecham, JO, Corcoran, RC, Wilson, WC, and Johnson, PA, SERS detection of indirect viral DNA capture using colloidal gold and methylene
blue as a Raman label, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 25 (4): 674-681 (2009).