CHEMICAL and Biomedical ENGINEERING
COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND Physical Sciences
- Lead Scientist, Waste & Environmental Management, Western Research Institute, 2012-2014
- Postdoctoral Scientist, Photobiology, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 2010-2011
- Ph.D. Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics, California Institute of Technology, 2001-2009
- Synthetic biology and genetic engineering of non-model bacteria for the production
of fuels and chemicals
- Microbial communities in extreme environments
- Diagnostic assay development.
My group is interested in the use of non-model bacteria to make fuels and chemicals
from inexpensive by-products or wastes. A recent project focuses on the use of Rhodococcus opacus for the upgrading of an agricultural by-product to biodiesel precursors, and the
group has previously investigated the use of non-model microbes for the production
of fuels (hydrogen and biodiesel precursors), as well as commodity chemicals. It
is through this research using non-model microbes that we became interested in microbial
communities in extreme environments, and we have several on-going studies on microbial
communities in the deep subsurface.
Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, my group had started to work on the development of
a novel biomedical diagnostic assay. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we shifted our
focus to develop sensitive, specific novel Covid-19 diagnostics.
- Antoine, M. Mohammadi, C. McDermott, E. Walsh, P. Johnson, K. Wawrousek, J. G. Wall,
“Isolation of SARS-CoV-2-blocking recombinant antibody fragments and characterisation
of their binding to variant spike proteins,” Frontiers in Nanotechnology, 2022. Sec.
- Coyle and K. Wawrousek, “Rhodococcus opacus PD630 Bioconversion of Molasses Desugarized
Solubles for Fatty Acid Production” Industrial Biotechnology, 2022, Volume 18, Issue
- Mohammadi, B. Reinicke, K. Wawrousek, “Biosorption and Biomagnetic Recovery of La3+ by Magnetospirillum magneticum AMB-1 Biomass” Separation and Purification Technology, 2022, Volume 303, 122140.
- Mohammadi, D. Antoine, M. Vitt, J. Dickie, S. Sultana Jyoti, J. G. Wall, P. Johnson,
K. Wawrousek, “A Fast, Ultrasensitive SERS Immunoassay to Detect SARS-CoV-2 in Saliva”
Analytica Chemica Acta. 2022, 1229, 340290.
- Antoine1, M. Mohammadi1, J. Dickie, S. Sultana Jyoti, M. A. Tilbury, M. Vitt, P. A. Johnson, K. Wawrousek2, J. G. Wall2, “A rapid, point-of-care scFv-SERS assay for femtogram level detection of SARS-CoV-2”
ACS Sens.2022, 7, 3, 866–873.
1 co-first authors
2 co-corresponding authors
- C. Eckert, E. Freed, K. Wawrousek, S. Smolinski, J. Yu, P.-C. Maness, “Inactivation of the Uptake Hydrogenase in the
Purple Non-Sulfur Photosynthetic Bacterium Rubrivivax gelatinosus CBS Enables a Biological Water-Gas Shift Platform for H2 Production” Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology. 2019 Jul;46(7):993-1002.
- K. Wawrousek, S. Noble , C. Eckert, J. Korlach, J. Chen, J. Yu, P.-C. Maness, “Genome
Annotation Provides Insight into Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen Metabolism in Rubrivivax gelatinosus CBS.” PLoS One. 2014. Dec 5;9(12):e114551.
- A. Bland, T. Zhang, K. Wawrousek, “WRI’s CAT Process: Development and Deployment of
Clean Synthetic Transportation Fuels Via Carbon Emissions Capture/Re-Use Technology.”
American Coal. Jan. 2013.
- P. Hu, J. Lang, K. Wawrousek, J. Yu, P.-C. Maness, J. Chen, “Draft Genome Sequence
of Rubrivivax gelatinosus CBS.” J. Bacteriol. 2012 194(12):3262.
- D. Carrieri, K. Wawrousek, C. Eckert, J. Yu, P.-C. Maness, “The Role of the Bidirectional
Hydrogenase in Cyanobacteria.” Bioresource Technology. 2011 15;9(6):1156-66.
- K. Wawrousek, P. Richards, A. Bland “Biological Methods and Systems for Coal-to-Biofuels
and Bioproducts.” (US patent 10,557,155, granted Feb. 2020)
- K. Wawrousek, P. Richards, T. Zhang, A. Bland, “Systems and Methods for Conversion
of Carbon Dioxide Utilizing Chemoautotrophic Microorganisms.” (US patent 10,376,837,
granted August 2019)
- K. Stahlfeld, K. Wawrousek, E. Belmont, “Production of Fatty Acids from Agricultural
Waste via Non-Photosynthetic Microbe” (provisional patent submitted Fall 2017)
- K. Wawrousek, C. Eckert, P.-C. Maness, J. Yu, “Biological Catalyst for Water Gas Shift
Reaction” (provisional patent submitted Spring 2017)