Mandatory MMR Immunization Requirement
University of Wyoming Student Health Service
This policy affects students of the University of Wyoming born after December 31,
1956 who will be taking on campus classes. All students must prove immunity to measles,
mumps and rubella prior to class registration.
How Do I Prove That I Have Immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella?
- You provide verified documentation of receipt of 2 MMR vaccinations,
at least 4 weeks apart, given after your first birthday, OR
- You provide results of blood tests (called a titer) that prove you are immune to measles,
mumps and rubella.
What Do I Need To Do To Comply With This Requirement?
- Obtain previous immunization records. The records should be signed by a health care
(or appropriate) representative, and dated on or after the date of the second MMR
immunization. Official forms that will verify immunization include
a. Statement or photocopy of records from a doctor's office or clinic.
b. State or international immunization record.
c. Primary or secondary school records of immunizations.
d. Immunization records from another college or university.
e. Military records.
f. Previous employer records.
g. County Public Health Office (to access a State registry record).
h. Documentation of measles, mumps, or rubella blood tests/titers showing immunity.
i. Please note: All international immunization records should be translated into
- If verification from any of the above sources is unavailable, or you need another
MMR vaccine, you need to do ONE of the following:
a. Receive the MMR vaccine from your health care clinician or local health department
prior to arrival on campus.
b. Obtain the necessary blood tests from your health care clinician to prove immunity.
c. Receive the MMR vaccine at the UW Student Health Service during our regular business
(current cost: $98.00 per dose--two doses required; price can change without notice).
Immunizations are not given during the following hours:
i. Summer session: from 11:30 am – 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm – 4:30 pm.
ii. Academic session: from 11:30 am – 1:00 pm and 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm.
- Previous exemptions are not accepted. Please use and upload the University of Wyoming
forms available on this website.
- Sign into the Patient Portal (use your UW user name and password) and enter your MMR dates or titer results under
the MMR tab.
a. Enter other immunizations and dates under the Recommended tab.
b. Hit the Submit key when you have entered all your immunization information.
c. Upload the documentation of your immunizations using the “Upload” tab.
- You will be able to register for classes when your MMR immunization information has
been verified by the Student Health Service staff.
What If I Don't Comply?
- You will be unable to register for classes until you comply with the MMR immunization
What If I Have a Reason Not To Be Immunized?
- If you have a medical contraindication to the MMR immunization, you should not receive
the immunization and should complete the Medical Exemption Form (this Form requires a medical clinician signature). You can upload this form to the
MMR immunization section of the Patient Portal using the “Upload” tab.
a. Absolute contraindications include an allergy to neomycin or any other component
of the MMR vaccine, or a
previous life threatening allergic reaction to the MMR or MMRV vaccine.
b. Temporary contraindications include pregnancy, being sick with something more than
a cold, taking medications that
affect the immune system, recent receipt of blood products, obtaining certain
vaccines in the previous 4 weeks,
cancer, and a low platelet count.
- If you have sincere religious beliefs against immunizations, you can complete the
Religious Exemption Form (this form must be notarized). Previous exemptions are not accepted. You can upload
this form to the MMR immunization section
of the Patient Portal using the “Upload” tab.
- If you are exempt from the immunization requirement and there is an outbreak of one
of the three illnesses on campus, you will be excluded from campus for the duration
of the outbreak.
- There are additional health requirements for international students.
- Please read the information on the Student Health Service webpage at International Students.
- If you are an Outreach student and are not in classes on the Laramie or University
of Wyoming at Casper campus, you are not required to comply with this immunization
- If you have an immunization hold, please contact the Office of the Registrar to have the hold removed.
- If you change your status and attend classes on the Laramie or University of Wyoming
at Casper campus, you must comply with the immunization requirement.
If You Have Questions
- Call the Student Health Service during business hours at 307-766-2130.
- Email StudentHealth@uwyo.edu.