For students to be considered for admission to the PhD in Literacy Education program, they must:
- Submit all application materials by February 1st.
- Complete an online application to the Literacy Education PhD Program, application found here: http://www.uwyo.edu/admissions/graduate/. Submit supporting materials with the online application (see below).
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in prior undergraduate or graduate work
- Interview with Literacy Education Program faculty, either in person or via telephone
- Master's degree is preferred
Supporting materials include:
- A current resume or vita;
- A detailed letter that expresses why the applicant wishes to pursue a PhD in Literacy Education, including the applicant’s career goals; the applicant’s prior experiences in literacy or literacy education (e.g., relevant teaching or other educational experiences); previous university degrees, programs, certificates, or emphases related to literacy; potential areas of focus in a literacy doctoral program; potential research interests; and any other information the applicant considers to be relevant to her or his admission;
- Three Letters of Recommendation from those who can speak to the applicant’s intellect, scholarly abilities, teaching ability, or other qualifications for doctoral study. These letters typically would be former professors, supervisors, or administrators;
- An official report of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) that was taken within the preceding 5 years;
- An Application for a Graduate Assistantship should the student wish to seek one;
- An academic writing sample is not required, but is preferred.
- TOEFL or IELTS test is required for international students.
After the February 1st due date, the application packet will be reviewed by faculty in the Literacy Education Program Area. Following the interview, the literacy education faculty will make a recommendation regarding admission for Graduate Study at UW.