College of Engineering and Applied Science
There are a number of well-defined policy issues related to use of your account, many of which are specified in your account agreement with the University of Wyoming. The ones stated here are not necessarily all inclusive. If you have a question about the permissibility of an action, please contact Computer Science administrators for clarification.
Specifically the following are disallowed
Sharing your account:
- Do not let anyone use your account for any reason
- Never give out your password. System Administrators do not need it.
Use of account to gain unauthorized access
- Do not attempt to break-in or exploit security holes to gain access to any account at this or any other facility.
- Transmission and storage of any material in violation of any US or state regulation is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to, unauthorized copyrighted materials (such as music, movies, pictures, and software), threatening or obscene material (and e-mail) and material protected by trade secret.
- Mass emailing (spamming) and threatening or abusing other users electronically.
Software and Hardware
- Users may not install software and hardware that is not licensed to or owned by the Computer Science Department and/or University of Wyoming.
- Software licensed to individuals cannot be installed on Computer Science Computers.
- A EULA cannot be agreed to by an individual, unless the software is licensed or owned by University of Wyoming, Engineering College, or Computer Science Department for use on Computer Science computers or if it is free software.
- You may not use Sony Content/Copy-protected Music CDs on department computers, since it installs software that not licensed to the University of Wyoming, Engineering College or Computer Science Department. The Software installed (generally called "Sony DRM RootKit") is also a unacceptable Security Risk.
- You may not use Computer Science Department equipment, accounts, software or computer networks for commercial use. This includes, but is not limited to, mass e-mailing (known as SPAM). Accounts are granted strictly for research and class use only.
In general, it is important to realize that the actions you take when using your account reflect on the Computer Science Department as well as the Engineering College and University of Wyoming as a whole.