Department of Computer Science | University of Wyoming
The Industrial Affiliates Program was developed to link industrial and business partners with potential employees and faculty members. Forming these constructive relationships between industry and the Department drastically reduces recruitment costs, while also developing a channel of communication between affiliate partners. Collectively, the mutual needs of business, industry, and academia are supported.
The Department of Computer Science at UW is a nationally accredited program. The faculty strive to create and maintain expertise in each of their selected areas of computer and computational sciences impacting developments in the field at national and international levels.
The program offers students outstanding facilities including access to the Advanced Research Campus Computer (ARCC) Facility, the Mt. Moran Super Computer, the Big Horn Storage facility, Unix and MS Windows workstations, and access to industry leading software such as Oracle, Rational Suite, MS Dev Studio, Apache, and Tomcat. Curriculum is developed to provide support for immediate computational needs as well as providing a foundation for lifelong learning in computational sciences.
Small class sizes provide students with the opportunity to work one-on-one with professors. This provides a learning environment that caters to the individual development and needs of each student. Graduates of the Department are well prepared for careers in areas associated with software design, networks and the internet, computer programming, database design, artificial intelligence, management information systems, and robotics.
• attendance to the annual Industrial Affiliates Program meeting (up to 3 company representatives)
• access to an online database of student resumes for internships and hires
• invitations to attend seminars and presentations offered by the Department of Computer Science
• contact with technical and administrative representatives of participating affiliate partners
• access to on-going informal meetings with students and faculty
• company logo featured on the Industrial Affiliates Program website
• opportunities to sponsor and brand department activities (i.e. sponsorship of a speaker series)
The Industrial Affiliates Annual Meeting is an opportunity for the Department and all affiliates to come together and discuss topics and issues of mutual interest. The Industrial Affiliates Annual Meeting consists of the following:
• an introduction to the Department of Computer Science's faculty members, graduate students and a select group of undergraduate students
• discussion of the educational mission of the Department including an overview of the curriculums and ABET accreditation
• research overviews by faculty and graduate students including demonstrations of software and hardware systems under development
• an invited talk on a technical topic of broad interest
• interaction and communication with other Industrial Affiliates
• opportunities to interview students for permanent positions and co-op/internship positions
• an industry roundtable discussion with all affiliate representatives in attendance
|• Entrepreneurs and Small Companies ≤ 10 employees||$ 500 / year|
|• Companies with 11-50 employees||$ 1,500 / year|
• Companies with 51-500 employees
|$ 5,000 / year|
• Companies with over 500 employees
|$ 10,000 / year|
Industrial Affiliate fees have been structured on the basis of company size. These fees are utilized by the department as excellence funds to support activities not otherwise funded. These activities include but are not limited to: honoraria for outside speakers; support for student organizations such as the Association for Computing Machinery and the Cyber Defense Action League; sponsoring travel to conferences; programming, contests, and other meetings; scholarships; and the annual affiliate meeting. The allocation of funds is published in a yearly report distributed by the Dean's office of the CEAS.
*Please make checks payable to: UW Department of Computer Science*
and mail to:
UW Department of Computer Science - Industrial Affiliates Program
Dr. James Caldwell - Department Head
Dept. 3315, 1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071
Companies of any size are welcome to register as an Industrial Member at no charge. Industrial Members are listed on the program's website and are also provided interaction with students, faculty and affiliate representatives from other companies. Industrial Members are invited to attend the annual meeting with an associated fee.
- Working for Wyoming and the World