Department of Music
College of Arts & Sciences
Prospective Graduate Students
Apply to the University of Wyoming
Admission to the graduate program requires acceptance by both the University of Wyoming Graduate Admissions Office AND the Department of Music. The deadline for applications is March 1st, 2017.
Graduate admission is contingent upon meeting the following requirements (the GRE is not required):
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution of higher learning
- A Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher (A = 4.0) on all previous coursework
- Three letters of recommendation sent by persons knowledgeable of the applicant’s qualifications for graduate study
- A personal statement, which includes why you are applying and how you plan to apply your earned degree
- Submission of original transcripts of all previous coursework
Requirements for admission can be found on the Office of Admissions website.
Department of Music TOEFL Requirements
International students must pass the TOEFL exam with a minimum paper exam score of 540 (207 on the computerized exam or 76 on the Internet-based TOEFL iBT) before being admitted.
The TOEFL is not required, but some English proficiency is expected.
Apply to the Department of Music
Please refer to the Graduate Handbook for more information on graduate admission requirements and procedures. Submit Music graduate application materials to the Department of Music (contact information below).
Master of Music Education Admission Requirements:
- An earned Bachelor of Music Education degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, plus:
- One year of teaching experience in music education
- Video of classroom teaching and/or rehearsing
- One to three page statement of music education philosophy
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from an immediate supervisor, on teaching effectiveness
Master of Music in Performance Admission Requirements:
- An earned Bachelor of Music Performance degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, plus:
- One to three page personal statement on why you are applying and how you plan to apply your earned degree
A live audition (preferred) or a CD, DVD, or website of your performances, demonstrating:
- Strong sense of musicality
- Technical proficiency
- Stylistically correct performance practices in at least 3 historical periods, where applicable
- Standard repertoire from your instrumental specialty or vocal area
Apply for a Graduate Assistantship and a Music Scholarship
Please see the Graduate Education page, the Graduate Handbook, and the Audition and Scholarship Information page for more information.
- Graduate Assistantships are awarded based on:
- Ability (current level of accomplishment and potential)
- Music Department and Ensemble needs
- Academic success
- Collegiality and academic integrity
For University of Wyoming Admissions and Department of Music graduate application information, please contact: