Physics & Astronomy
1000 E. University, Dept 3905
Laramie, WY 82071
· Outcome 1: Conceptual and analytical understanding of the four major areas of physics:
Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism, Quantum Mechanics, and Statistical Physics
· Outcome 2: Understanding of scientific reasoning, i.e., the roles of theory, hypothesis, and
experiment in the scientific method.
· Outcome 3: Demonstration of a working knowledge of laboratory & programming skills as they
relate to gathering data and comparing data to the predictions of theoretical models.
· Outcome 4: Ability to clearly communicate the results of scientific analysis in written and oral
· Outcome 1: Mastery of the four major areas of physics (Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism,
Quantum Mechanics, and Statistical Physics) at the undergraduate level, and understanding of
their chosen specialty (astronomy/condensed matter physics) at the graduate level.
· Outcome 2: Capable of using advanced scientific experimental/observational/computational/
theoretical methods appropriate to their subdiscipline to conduct independent research.
· Outcome 3: Clearly communicate the results of scientific analysis in written and oral form at a
· Outcome 4: Knowledge of the current areas of research, key open questions, and seminal
literature within their subdiscipline.
· Outcome 5: Competency in teaching at the college level using the best pedagogical methods
as determined by current physics education research.