Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Outreach|Student Financial Aid


Consortium Agreement

  • To receive federal financial aid from the University of Wyoming, you must enroll at UW for at least one course in any term or semester in which you are taking courses from more than one institution.
  • You must complete a separate Consortium Agreement for each term or semester you will be enrolling at more than one institution, and desire federal financial aid.
  • Normally, the financial aid from your home institution will not be made available in full until your enrollment at the host institution is confirmed.   This will probably mean that you must pay the other college’s tuition and fees from your own resources and then be reimbursed when your aid becomes available to you.

Form: Consortium Agreement (Microsoft Word) (PDF)

Twelve Things To Know About Financial Aid For Students In Outreach Programs

1. The types of aid which are available

In general, the same financial aid is available to students seeking degrees through UW Outreach programs as to students seeking degrees at UW's Laramie and Casper locations. State-appropriated scholarships such as the UW President's Honor Scholarships and County Commissioners' Scholarships may be used for Outreach courses by eligible students, for example. Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Grants, Richardson Scholarships, Federal Perkins (if available) and Federal Direct Loans and UW short-term (emergency) loans may be used by eligible students who meet federal and/or local requirements, as may most scholarships.


2. Recipients of federal funds must have a declared degree objective

Outreach students who qualify for federal funds will fall into one of the following two categories:

A. those who have been accepted for admission to UW and who are enrolled in a program leading to a UW bachelor's or master's degree.

B. those who are enrolled in a degree program on the Laramie or Casper campus, who are or who have previously attended class on campus and who are pursuing one or more Outreach courses in conjunction with their on-campus work.

Please note that students in a) and b) above are seeking a UW degree. Students who do not fall into one of these categories should consult with an adviser in the Office of Student Financial Aid and/or with an adviser in the Outreach program (1-800-448-7801 #6).


3. On-campus deadlines apply to Outreach applicants

Outreach students who apply for financial aid should be aware of the application deadlines which are associated with each of the various types of aid in which they are interested. Since these deadlines sometimes involve complex application processes, applicants are responsible for checking with the Office of Student Financial Aid to learn the details. Priority consideration for scholarships and federal aid is given to applicants whose data have been received by March 1 prior to the semester in which the aid is to be used, but awards are made all year long, when funds are available.


4. Minimum credit-hour enrollment requirements may vary

Below are shown the minimum credit-hour enrollments required for eligibility for various financial aid programs at UW. Be sure to read #5 below for further information on enrollment.

  • Federal Pell Grant ----- 12 credit hours for full grant; proportionate reduction for fewer hours.
  • Federal Direct Loan ----- 6 credit hours for in-school deferment and to borrow. Master's candidates check with Financial Aid Office.

  • Short-term loans from UW ----- 12 credit hours, with limited exceptions

  • Federal Perkins Loans (if available) ----- 6 credit hours for in-school deferment; no minimum to borrow

  • State-funded scholarships ----- 12 credit hours for most scholarships

  • Other scholarships ----- check regulations of award for enrollment requirements


5. When UW hours may be combined with community college hours

Courses taken through UW Outreach programs may be combined with courses taken at the Wyoming community colleges to achieve the minimum enrollments specified above only as noted here:

A. for state-appropriated scholarships - The Superior Student in Education Scholarship and County Commissioners' Scholarships may be used at any Wyoming community college, as long as the recipient has remaining semesters of eligibility, as specified by the terms of the scholarship. Therefore, courses through UW may be combined with courses at one or more of the community colleges to meet the minimum credit hour enrollment requirement for these particular scholarships.

B. for students in cooperative programs - UW has cooperative agreements with all the Wyoming community colleges to offer specific upper-division (junior and senior-level) degree programs. Students accepted for admission to UW in programs covered by these joint agreements may combine UW course hours with community college credit hours to achieve the minimum credit-hour requirement for financial aid. A special Consortium Agreement must be prepared each semester to cover the concurrent enrollments.


6. How payment is made for tuition costs

Normally, financial aid is disbursed only after official confirmation has been made of your enrollment. Since you are usually expected to pay for your credit hours when you register for them, you will need either to use your own funds for tuition costs or to make arrangements to defer tuition payment until the arrival of your aid. Book charges may sometimes be deferred, also. If you defer your tuition costs and later find that you are ineligible for aid, you are still obligated to pay your outstanding charges.

Your financial aid may be sent to you in several disbursements or in one lump sum, depending on timing. If your tuition and book charges are also still outstanding when your financial aid is credited to your account, as much as possible of your charges will automatically be paid by your financial aid. If there is excess aid, after your charges have been paid, a "credit balance refund" for the remainder will be sent to you, through WyoRefunds. If you also owe tuition charges at a community college, you must make arrangements on your own to pay or defer payment until your aid arrives.

Please note that financial aid has some unique disbursement arrangements. It is always disbursed in two payments, once each semester. Also, when you borrow your first Federal Direct Loan, you will be required to participate in entrance loan counseling before your check can be mailed to you. You may complete this requirement online at


7. How your community college coursework will be confirmed

If you are enrolled through the UW Outreach School and one of the Wyoming community colleges (see 5b), you will normally be enrolled predominately in UW (that is, upper division) coursework. If you find it necessary to your academic program to enroll in some community college (that is, lower division) courses, along with your UW coursework, the total of your hours from both institutions can be counted toward your enrollment requirement for financial aid purposes.


8. You are responsible for maintaining your address record

When enrollment has been certified and all eligibility requirements have been met, UW will mail your excess financial aid in the form of checks if that is the refund option you chose through WyoRefunds. The check(s) will be mailed to the "mailing" address on record for you on the UW Registrar's computer database. This address is updated only when you request the Registrar to do so. It is always appropriate for you to confirm that the Registrar has your current address and if not, to update it. You may do this by calling or writing the Office of the Registrar several weeks before any expected disbursement or other mailing from UW.


9. How to notify UW of your enrollment plans

Since you normally enroll in Outreach classes only a few weeks before the classes begin, the UW financial aid office does not have a clear picture of your academic plans for the semester until just before the semester starts. To assist us in preparing the correct amount of aid for your academic schedule, we ask that you phone this office at least a month before the start of your classes each semester, to notify us of your intended courseload. If you identify yourself as an Outreach student, your call will be transferred to the appropriate area of the office. Please remember to discuss any coursework you may be planning to take from a Wyoming community college, when you call.


10. Reduction in enrollment hours must be reported

When recipients of financial aid withdraw completely from the school which disbursed their aid, we will verify current enrollment at the host school. A Return of Title IV funds may be calculated if the student has done an all-school withdrawal from both schools before 60% of the enrollment period has been completed. Outreach students receiving financial aid of any kind are required to notify the Office of Student Financial Aid of their withdrawal.


11. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Outreach students must comply to the same SAP Standards as all students receiving federal financial aid. Please see the following page: Satisfactory Academic Progress


12. In-school loan deferment provisions may vary

If you have an unpaid balance on a Federal Perkins, NDSL, Nursing, or Pharmacy Loan made by UW and are otherwise eligible for a student deferment, your loan may be deferred based on your enrollment in the required number of credit hours. If you are enrolled in one of the cooperative programs, you should bring that information to the attention of the UW Office of Student Financial Operations when you request the deferment. Perkins, and other loans made by another college can be deferred by that college but you may have to provide additional information regarding the nature of the Wyoming cooperative degree arrangement, if that is applicable to you. In your correspondence with your previous school(s), you may wish to refer to the cooperative program as a "consortium agreement," since that is the term by which such programs are nationally known.

Federal Direct loans, GSL, Supplemental, ALAS, or SLS Loans from UW or from other colleges may be deferred while you enroll in UW Outreach courses. Please contact your lender for the appropriate deferment forms. If you are in one of the cooperative programs and taking classes from both UW and a community college, you should read the following:

The college which would award your financial aid ( the "home" college) is the college to which you should send your request for in-school deferment. If you are a junior or a senior, for example, UW is your home college. Please attach a note to your deferment form each semester, drawing the UW Registrar's attention to the fact that you are enrolled in a cooperative program and have hours at both UW and a community college. If you are receiving financial aid that semester, it is likely that UW already has documentation of your combined hours. If not, that documentation will have to be obtained from the community college before UW can certify your total hours of enrollment.

Numbers you may need

To ask about:Contact:Phone:Fax:
Eligibility for financial aid Student Financial Aid Office 307-766-6727 307-766-3800
When/where your check was mailed Accounts Receivable Office 307-766-6232 307-766-3633
Admission to UW Admissions Office 800-DIAL-WYO
or 307-766-5160
General questions about Outreach classes Outreach School 800-448-7801 #5
or 307-766-4300
In-school deferments Registrar's Office 307-766-5272 307-766-3960
Address changes Registrar's Office 307-766-5272 307-766-3960
Cooperative degree programs Outreach School 800-448-7801 #5
or 307-766-4300
Perkins Loan deferments Student Financial Operations 307-766-3214 307-766-3633
Emergency, short-term loans Student Financial Operations 307-766-3214 307-766-3633
Academic Advising Rosalind Grenfell 800-448-7801 #6 307-268-2416

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader // Accessibility Accessibility information icon