ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MSW PROGRAM
Requirements for the standard MSW program:
- A baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited college or university that reflects a broad liberal arts preparation. The Division of Social Work defines a broad liberal arts preparation as having completed at least 21 credit hours in social and behavioral sciences and 6 credit hours in natural sciences, humanities, visual and performing arts, and quantitative reasoning;
- A human biology course, receiving a grade of C or better;
- A statistics course, receiving a grade of C or better;
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4 point scale;
- Applicants are encouraged to have engaged in human services or social services work as a volunteer or paid employee for at least 600 hours. These hours must be documented on a resume.
Requirements for the advanced standing MSW program:
- A bachelor's degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited Social Work Program;
- An undergraduate Social Work GPA of 3.25 or above;
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above;
- Received a B or better in BSW Field Education Practicum;
- Applicants are encouraged to have engaged in human services or social services work as a volunteer or paid employee for at least 1000 hours (BSW internship hours can apply to this total). These hours must be documented on a resume.
NOTE TO INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS:
Additionally, international student applicants for
whom English is not their native language must furnish scores from the Test of
English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language
Testing System (IELTS), ELS Language Centers or other approved tests of English
The minimum paper TOEFL score acceptable for full
admission is 540. This corresponds to the Internet-based TOEFL of 76. The
minimum IELTS score for full admission is 6.0. Other approved tests will be acceptable at the level of the TOEFL score. Official scores must be sent
directly from the testing agency (i.e. TOEFL scores must be sent from ETS).
Please contact the Admissions Office for further information concerning international admissions.