Skip to Main Content

For Parents Newsletter|Division of Student Affairs

Insurance and Your Student

The nature of insurance requires preparation for, rather than reaction to, unfortunate circumstances. Listed below are some points to keep in mind as to send your student to college.

Medical Insurance

Group and family plans frequently cover students provided they are full time and under the age of 26 (as determined by your plan). Usually, coverage under HMO plans does not extend to non-enrolled states. You should verify coverage, limits, and any restrictions, or other plan details prior to your student's attendance in order to make sure your student is covered or to make other health care coverage arrangements. Be sure to provide an insurance card to your student from your group or family plan. 

The university offers a basic student medical insurance program to its students. Your student will be required to accept or decline the student medical insurance each fall and spring semester as part of his or her class registration process. If the student accepts the insurance by selecting "yes," he or she will be enrolled automatically and will be charged the premium that semester. Should your student wish to change his choice, he must contact the below phone number in the first two weeks of classes of the current semester. Phone calls from parents are not sufficient to change the student's insurance choice. 

Please contact the student medical insurance advocate at (307) 766-3025 with any questions you may have about the student medical insurance program offered by the university or to obtain a current brochure.

Property Insurance

Your homeowner's policy will frequently provide coverage for your student's personal property during the period he or she resides in a residence hall, fraternity, or sorority if you notify your agent.  Contact your insurance agent to determine if this coverage is available or if you need to obtain a renter's policy for your student if he or she lives off campus. A renter's policy is highly advisable and typically very affordable.

Auto Insurance

Check with your insurance agent or company to confirm if your student's vehicle will be covered. Your student will need proof of insurance, which is required by Wyoming law. Talk to your insurance agent about policies and what to do if your student is involved in an accident.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us