The population of Black Americans has nearly doubled in Wyoming since the year 2000. As the population becomes more diverse it is important to provide students with a background in multicultural relations so that they are prepared for the global workforce. We intend to provide students with the necessary knowledge to prepare them to participate in an increasingly interconnected world. Therefore, African American & Diaspora Studies offers an undergraduate major (BA) in African American & Diaspora Studies.
The BA in African American & Diaspora Studies Consists of 35 credit hours:
• 15 credit hours of core course requirements
• 3 credit hours of a lower division (1000 or 2000-level) AADS course (excludes core courses)
• 6 credit hours of upper division (3000 or 4000-level) AADS courses—internships are highly recommended.
• 3 credit hours of lower-division or upper-division AADS course (excludes core courses)
• 8 credit hours of a single foreign language
See Undergraduate Major Check Sheet for more detail.
African American & Diaspora Studies offers an undergraduate minor in African American & Diaspora Studies. Thematic tracks are optional.
The minor in African American & Diaspora Studies Consists of 21 credit hours:
• 9 credit hours of core course requirements
• 9 credit hours of electives (excludes core courses)
• 3 credit hours of senior thesis seminar (AAST 4975, capstone)
See Undergraduate Minor Check Sheet for more detail.
African American & Diaspora Studies graduate course offerings pair well UW graduate education generally. Graduate students are able to choose from a variety of graduate level courses that often enhance their graduate educational opportunities in their home department. The majority of the graduate students who take our courses are earning graduate degrees in Communication & Journalism, Education, English, Global & Area Studies, History, and Law. Our faculty are also able to serve as graduate committee chairs, co-chairs, and members to master’s and Ph.D. committees.
African American Art Museum Director/Curator
Health Care & Pharmacy
Mental Health Care