Refereed book chapters
- "How Geography Affects Quality" Journal of Development Economics, 115, July 2015, pp 156-180. (with Volodymyr Lugovskyy).
- "Short Sale Restrictions, Differences of Opinion, and Single-Country Closed-End Fund Discount" International Review of Financial Analysis, 29, Sept. 2013, pp. 44-50. (with Lee Sanning and Hilla Skiba)
- "The Trade Reducing Effects of Market Power in International Shipping" Journal of Development Economics, 89(1), May 2009, pp 84-97. (with David Hummels and Volodymyr Lugovskyy
NBER Working Paper #12914
- "Shipping the Good Apples Out? The Empirical Confirmation of Alchian-Allen Conjecture" Journal of Political Economy, 112(6), Dec. 2004, pp 1384-1402. (with David Hummels)
NBER Working Paper #9023
- "The Effect of Policies on FDI Flows: the Case of Transition Countries,", forthcoming in Bob Lucas, T.N. Srinivasan and Lyn Squire eds., The Impact of Rich Countries' policies on Poverty in Poor Countries. Edward Elgar, 2010. (with Irina Orlova and Tom CoupĆ)
reprinted in Karl P. Sauvant and Lisa E. Sachs, eds., The Effect of Treaties on Foreign Direct Investment: Bilateral Investment Treaties, Double Taxation Treaties and Investment Flows (New York: Oxford University Press, 2009 .
- "A Virtuous Cycle? Regional Tariff Liberalization and Scale Economies in Transport," in FTAA and Beyond: Prospects for Integration in the America eds. Antoni Estevadeordal, Dani Rodrik, Alan M. Taylor, Andres Velasco. Harvard University Press, 2003. (with David Hummels)
- "Attitudes Toward Markets and Market Reforms in the Former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe" in Reforming Economics and Economics Teaching in the Transition Economies, 2002. (with Michael Watts and William B. Walstad)