College of Engineering and Applied Science
HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2008
B.S. Civil Engineering (1939) - University of Wyoming
Lloyd W. Taggart, a civil engineering graduate of the University of Wyoming (1939), was born and raised in Northern Wyoming, the oldest son in a family of nine children. In 1940, he married Adele Shields of Casper, who was also attending UW and they resided with their six children in Cody, Wyoming until their move to Las Vegas, Nevada in 1968.
He and Adele, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, returned to Cody in 1989, where they lived until his death in 2002. Taggart began his career with the Bureau of Reclamation in Fresno, California and later, during WWII, worked for Boeing Aircraft as a technical representative for B17's and B27's. In 1945, he joined Taggart Construction Company in Cody, Wyoming, where he served as president of the company from 1956-78 when he was promoted to Chairman. He also served as Chairman of the Board and a Director of Shoshone First National Bank, as president of the Cody Chamber of Commerce, and as member of the Advisory Board of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. He is a past president of the Associated General Contractors of Wyoming, the Wyoming Engineering Society, and the Wyoming National Right to Work Committee.
Upon moving to Las Vegas, Nevada in 1968, Taggart served as president of WMK Transit Mix until 1978, when he became its Chairman. He served as president of the Federated Employers of Las Vegas, and board of trustee member of the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center in Oklahoma City. He also served on the UW Alumni Association Board, UW Art Museum Board, College of Business Advisory Council, and UW Campus Advisory Board. In 1988, he was honored as a UW Distinguished Alumni for his many years of outstanding leadership, service and career accomplishments at UW.