Some of the content on this website requires JavaScript to be enabled in your web browser to function as intended. While the website is still usable without JavaScript, it should be enabled to enjoy the full interactive experience.

Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions|University of Wyoming Extension

Web Development


How do I go about getting a site started?

The UW Extension Communications & Technology office has many resources to help you get on the right path for your web site development and management needs. Contact the Webmaster for more information.


This is my first web site. What should I consider?

It's best not to get unnecessarily complex. Understand your audience, and communicate your ideas clearly to the designer. How do you want your program perceived? Dependable? Innovative? Energetic? Speak your mind! Any favorite web sites, tell us!

Any campus entity including colleges, divisions, departments, affiliates, professors, RSO's, and staff are entitled to a Web site on the central servers.

Information in the site must be related to University of Wyoming work and cannot be personal in nature. If you have a question as to the validity of information, please contact the Webmaster to help you decide if the information is appropriate.


What are "Domain Name" and "Hosting"?

Your domain name is the address people type into their browsers to find your web site. For example, our domain name is '

Hosting is the service provided by the university that stores your website information on a remote computer server and serves it to people via the Internet when they request your site.


How will I manage my web site?

We will build your web site around an online program called a Content Management System, or CMS. You won't need to install anything on your computer. The office of Communications & Technology offers this content management system as a service, whereby we can keep your web site up-to- date for you with changes you e-mail to us. Contact the Webmaster to find out more about how we can assist you.


What is the design turnaround time?

Turnaround time for site design takes roughly one to two weeks depending upon the complexity of your design, the schedule of the Webmaster, and the rate at which we receive feedback from you. To speed up the process, have most of the text you want on your site ready for us to input.


What are the fees involved?

Each Web site is allocated 200MB of space free of charge. If an entity wants additional space beyond the 200MB limit, it is available in 50MB increments for $10 per year. Additional space can be requested through the college Webmaster.


What types of statistics are available for my site?

To accommodate the request for statistics on Web sites on the UW central servers, a statistical package called WebLogExpert is used to collect Web statistics. To make a request, contact the college Webmaster.

It is possible for more sophisticated users to access the entire Web site logs that are generated, copy them to their computer, and manipulate them any way they need to. Access to the Web site logs is gained via a LAN share: select the Start menu, click Run, and type \\servername\web_logs$\, where servername is the Web server your site resides on (WWW, UWADMNWEB, or UWACADWEB). You can then find the specific log files you are interested in. Log files are kept for each individual virtual Web server. Only Web logs for the previous six months will be kept, and, if space becomes an issue, it may be necessary to decrease that timeframe in the future.


What should I put in printed publications as my URL?

At UW, we have been trying to standardize on a naming convention to make our URLs easy to remember and as short as possible. At this time, the majority of sites can use the following naming convention (regardless of where your site is actually physically located-we setup redirects for all site)[site_name] where [site_name] is the name of your web.

For example, the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources's site is on the UWAdmnWeb server, but the URL they should give out to the public (and print in any publications) is This will automatically take them to the correct site.

This type of setup will also help us in the future, if any of our servers have to be replaced or sites change names, those people browsing your site will not have to change their URL's - we just have to update the redirect, and the move/change is transparent.


What is the course Web site options at UW, and how do I setup a course?

For on-campus courses, see the "Online Supplemental Courses" page,, "Faculty Resources" link, for your choices and procedures. Distance education courses are handled by the Outreach School.

The default course web site, Course Studio in WyoWeb, offers file sharing and communications tools to assist your classroom teaching. More comprehensive platforms such as eCompanion and WyoSakai offer assignment submission, online grade display, and online exams. Contact the Instructional Technologist for assistance.


Can my site be password protected?

Yes, we can accommodate restricted sites in two ways.

Note: A site as a whole is either restricted or not. You cannot have certain directories within a site  restricted and others not. If you need a directory restricted you will need to request a new site, request it be restricted.

First, a single username and password can be setup that the author of a site gives out to each individual they want to be able to browse a site. When that individual tries to browse to the site, they will be prompted to enter credentials before it will allow them to see any of the pages within the site.

Second, we can setup a site to use an existing domain security group to control access to the site. For example:

Let's say someone in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources wants to have a Web site that only members of the COA, as defined by their work status in Human Resources, can browse. We can setup a site to ask for credentials and only allow current members of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources to gain browse access to the site.

Share This Page:

Footer Navigation

University of Wyoming Medallion
1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071 // UW Operators (307) 766-1121 // Contact Us // Download Adobe Reader