Dr. Alan Buss
Laramie, WY 82071
Dr. Alan Buss
Graduate Student Application and Admission Process
The application process is completely online, so paper materials will not be accepted. Fill out an online application to the PhD program in Science Education by following the link here.
Program Specific Requirements
- As part of the online application, provide a letter of intent. In this letter, describe why you wish to pursue a PhD in Science Education, including your career goals; your prior experiences in science or science education (e.g., relevant teaching or other educational experiences); previous university degrees, programs, certificates, or emphases related to science; potential areas of focus in a science doctoral program; potential research interests; and any other information you consider to be relevant to your admission.
Additional Requirements and Important Information
- GRE scores are required except for students who have: 1) a master’s degree in science education from an accredited university; or 2) a master's degree in a science content area, i.e. physics, chemistry, from an accredited university. Individuals not meeting either of these criteria must submit GRE scores. The admissions committee will consider the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning scores in its determination. Applicants need to contact a member of the Science Education PhD Program faculty, either in person or via telephone, to discuss career and research goals. This assists us in assigning a graduate advisor upon admission.
- Following the application review, the program faculty will make a recommendation regarding admission for Graduate Study at UW. Applicants will be notified of the decision by email. Applications will be considered at any time, but students who apply by January 15 will receive full consideration for graduate assistantships for the following academic year.
- Applicants are evaluated on alignment of research interests with those of existing faculty, clarity of application letter and goals, prior teaching or work experience, letters of recommendation, transcripts (including GPA) and previous research experience with an accompanying sample of professional writing if available, according to the Science Education PhD Admissions Rubric.
- TOEFL or IELTS test is required for international students.