Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply Now to the University of Wyoming apply now
Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

B.S. of Speech, Language, and Hearing Science

Division of Communication Disorders


Bachelor's of Speech, Language, and Hearing Science

Our bachelor's degree prepares you for graduate study in communication disorders. It typically takes four years, with the first two focused on university studies and the latter two focused on your major of speech, language, and hearing science.   In your bachelor's degree, you will study the normal processes associated with understanding and producing speech and language. These include anatomy, physiology, and neurology. You will also study the normal development of speech and language in children. You will be introduced to disorders and clinical methods. Courses in related areas, such as anatomy, psychology, child development, statistics, and linguistics are also part of the program. You will observe clinical practice and can join our student association for fellowship, learning, and service opportunities.

If you choose to be a speech-language pathologist, you will need a master's degree. Following your bachelor's degree, you can apply for a position in our accredited master's program in speech-language pathology where you will gain clinical knowledge and skills for educational and medical practice.  

If you prefer audiology, we will guide you on to doctoral programs (Au.D.) at other universities after your bachelor's degree. You will study types of hearing loss and etiological conditions, including genetic features, birth trauma, viral and bacterial infection, injury, and advancing age. You will learn to evaluate hearing sensitivity and speech understanding. Your audiometric test results will help physicians making medical diagnoses. You will recommend and fit hearing aids. You may also direct programs for preventing hearing loss due to noise exposure. You will work with clients across the lifespan, in hospitals, private practice, school districts, and industry.   

If you are interested in being a professor and conducting research, you can receive excellent research preparation up to the master's degree here and then go on to quality Ph.D. programs elsewhere. You will follow an individually-designed course of study in your area of specialization, under the guidance of a professor mentor. Ph.D.s work mainly in universities, but also in research hospitals, administration, and private practice.

Contact Us

Division of Communication Disorders

1000 E. University Ave., Dept. 3311

Health Sciences, 265

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: 307-766-6427

Fax: 307-766-6829


Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Privacy Policy | Harassment & Discrimination | Accessibility Accessibility information icon